cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Update on the Vat refund email

O2 are investigating, and taking this serious. Emailing the complaints team now will not resolve anything and will be a waste of time .

O2 are asking customer's to forward the emails to phishing@o2.com,  the more examples they collect the better, it will give them a better idea of what is going on.

Hope this helps slight_smile

Message 91 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
But to be fair, this is not a regular phishing situation, this is data protection, fraud, phishing and identity theft all rolled into one.
Message 92 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you @Anonymous for the update and guidance
Message 93 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually just checked through all my old e-mails, and this data comes from Nov 2009. We didn't have joint accounts. We both applied separately for O2 sims (I was accepted, he was turned down) - for some reason O2 mixed up my details and mobile number with my partners DOB and billed him. It took ages to get them to delink the accounts, and I had difficulty cancelling as they kept saying my account was my partner's, even though he had no account with them! Eventually we got it cancelled. Not sure if that helps at all??!

@Anonymous do you remember what store you used?

Message 94 of 374

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 95 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
And again @Anonymous I apologise prior to saying this, I have told Toby this is not a keylogger and someone higher up was feeding him pr bull. This was weeks ago and o2 need to retract the statement blaming end users machines that were not infected with a keylogger.
And fast.
I would also recommend o2 emails every customer on its books and requests a mandatory password change, for the short term while the breach is investigated.
Message 96 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes I think many of us have including the phishing link in our replies.....but as @viridis says this seems a lot more problematic than just a 'normal scam'. Certainly more sophisticated then the one earlier this month?..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 97 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just been onto www.telefonica.com and selected the country United Kingdom and the site is "down for maintenance" which during the day seems unusual.

Linked? ??
Message 98 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't comment much ,as you can imagine, but it is being taken serious and being investigated.

Message 99 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

just been there and nothing odd...? It links ok with O2 UK...

Message 100 of 374