cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you @Anonymous

Just for clarity that is the complaints team and you have sent to the right place.

It is not, however, the higher level complaints team. If you want to go there you must wait into the complaintreviewservice have had a go. Let me know when you get their response and if no joy I can pm you an address.

Personally though I don't think o2 are going to respond to you at either address. Its the ICO really
Message 81 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that. I guess it's like everything - it must go through the process and up the hierarchy.

The ICO has its own process. They want a response from O2 first, and they can step in if that's inadequate. Let's see what happens next week and I'll keep this thread updated. If no joy I'll get that address from you, @Anonymous - I appreciate your help
Message 82 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have a feeling some statement from O2 will be made about this pretty soon.

On another thread someone reported that they had a response from O2Twitter that they were aware of the issue and investigating. Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 83 of 374

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Would it not be ironic if the hackers (if indeed it is a hacking incident) were based in Hong Kong ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 84 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I also received one of these e-mails today. It was in my junk folder and I was initially going to delete it, but I was struck by how it addressed me by name. It also had my mobile number, but my DOB was wrong - it was my partner's!

We haven't had mobiles with O2 for many years - I think at least 5yrs, possibly longer, and initially we had 2 phones but I was the account holder for both, but as I said, this info is from years ago. I also had my broadband with O2 until Sky took them over, but the details in the e-mail are from our mobile account from many years ago.

I'm another one concerned about a possible breach at O2. I have not logged in to my O2 account for years, so I am assuming the breach is at their end, particularly as they had the wrong DOB for me., and all details seem to point to a mobile phone account from long ago.

Message 85 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually just checked through all my old e-mails, and this data comes from Nov 2009. We didn't have joint accounts. We both applied separately for O2 sims (I was accepted, he was turned down) - for some reason O2 mixed up my details and mobile number with my partners DOB and billed him. It took ages to get them to delink the accounts, and I had difficulty cancelling as they kept saying my account was my partner's, even though he had no account with them! Eventually we got it cancelled. Not sure if that helps at all??!

Message 86 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
So the account hasn't been logged into for a while, and you wouldnt be on a list of upcoming upgrades?
Message 87 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could be very useful information.

@MI5 any thoughts?
Message 88 of 374

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
My first impressions are that as the poster here has not been with o2 since 2009 then it would be fair to assume no requirement to log into their account. So that could rule out keyloggers as things would have come up for them over the last 5 years.

This points more and more to an o2 or o2 partner leak.
Message 90 of 374