Topics: 766

Re: Suspect vat refund email

Thanks for posting the link @Anonymous . Welcome to the forum Smiley Wink

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Topics: 573
Solutions: 16,138

Forget internal o2 complaints, it will be pointless.
Everyone who is effected needs to take this external for a proper investigation this time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Anonymous

The ICO recommends:
Complain to O2 with the ICO standard letter that is available on their website.
Await a response.
Regardless of that response then report to the ICO.

Importantly they recommend complaining to the O2 data controller (that is free to search for on the ICO register of data controllers on the ICO website). In O2's case this is under the name of Telefonica with the Bath Rd, Slough postal address. I shall be sending them a letter and hard copy evidence of the email over the weekend. I have never allowed O2 to share my data and so this is either non-permitted disclosure or a security breach that falls short of their responsibilities, in my opinion. I would encourage all affected to follow the same ICO recommendations.
Topics: 113

There's already been an official O2 response a week ago, this incident is just a follow-on from the earlier incident.

Report to ICO as soon as possible and copy O2's statement

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Scam-warning-received-this-email-requests-all-b...

"We’ve completed the investigation after reports from some customers about a new phishing scam. This attempt was triggered by a malware.  

To explain a little further, if a computer/laptop is compromised, the scammers can put on key loggers and other malware, this can be done when visiting legitimate compromised web sites, clicking on phishing e-mails or using unsecured wireless networks. They can capture keystrokes and screenshots of any systems that a user logs onto.  This information is then used by the scammers in targeted phishing emails and texts to make the user think they are genuinely sent from the originator because it appears to contain accurate information to the user.

To conclude, no personal data that may have been used within this phishing scam originated from O2.

We have a page on our website where customers can find out more about phishing emails, how to spot them and what they can do if they receive one that claims to be from us: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/phishing#qs You can also check out our blog that showcase an example phishing email attempt:http://news.o2.co.uk/2014/05/29/phishing-alert-may-2014/

We take the subject of security very seriously and we’re constantly working hard to help prevent fraudulent activity from happening.  Customers who receive an email they suspect is a phishing scam just need to forward it tophishing@o2.com so we can investigate and shut down these scammers.!

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Anonymous

Super post @Beenherebefore. Thank you.

I don't buy it from o2 though for this simple reason. The info in the email includes things that you would normally type into your pc or laptop, namely the puk code and phone serial number.

In my opinion this is an o2 breach that they are trying to hide.
Anonymous

I've had another response from O2 on Twitter:

@O2: @angelouisemoore We've had reports from other customers who have received similar emails and we're looking into it.

I'll be using the template letter initially and awaiting a response.

Having read all the keylogger info, I'm baffled. I don't think I've ever accessed my account via a computer, only ever on my iPhone.
Topics: 573
Solutions: 16,138

@Anonymous wrote:
Having read all the keylogger info, I'm baffled. I don't think I've ever accessed my account via a computer, only ever on my iPhone.

It's nothing to do with keyloggers......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Topics: 580
Solutions: 4,299

Poor response initially from o2 especially locking threads and preventing us, concerned customers, from responding.
Key logging cannot get the information in its entirety that is included in the emails. It's an internal problem no doubt.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hence my post about damage limitation. Totally agree with both @jonsie and @MI5. I am quite looking forward to my email now cos I WILL go all the way with it.
Topics: 580
Solutions: 4,299

@Anonymous wrote:
Hence my post about damage limitation. Totally agree with both @jonsie@ and @MI5. I am quite looking forward to my email now cos I WILL go all the way with it.

It's a little  difficult  for  me  to  do  anything over here with just the mobile phone but I will be asking questions on my return in a week or so!