cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Anonymous
Not applicable
I look forward to getting an email then cos if I do I will do the following:

1. I will speak to CS on 202
2. If no joy I will liaise with o2 Higher Level Complaints (I will bypass complaints review service on this).
3. Then I will report o2 to the Information Commissioners Office for breach of Data Protection.

What has gone wrong with o2? Have they lost the IT department as so much IT is going wrong these days.
Message 51 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122385 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We first started hearing about this problem from people who came to the forum post Christmas period, worried about the security of their personal details  There were many many posts. These people had been contacted via suspicious phone calls, texts and emails.

Eventually Toby made a statement issued on behalf of O2 which was intended to calm the situation and dispel fears.....Those threads were locked as it appeared to have 'calmed down'.

Five new people have posted on this thread last night giving information about what appears to be a more sophisticated scam.

Problem is, we are only hearing from people who have posted on this forum. What about the others who have not come here? It's more than worrying. ....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 52 of 374

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This is for sure an internal security problem. Locking the threads whilst assuring us that all is well doesn't do anything except assure me that some heads within o2 are buried deeply in the sand. 

Shovel on its way.....

Message 53 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had the same convincing email and messaged O2 via Twitter last night. A few have had the same email and O2 are advising to forward to phishing@o2.com but I've had no response as to how these details have been accessed. If I get a response, I'll let you know!
Message 54 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Damage limitation from o2. In some ways I am surprised Toby only locked the threads instead of removing them from public view.

O2 DEFINITELY Have a case to answer. Needs the ICO involved I think.
Message 55 of 374

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Didn't input anything on the link. Bank details are protected behind a pin code on O2 online, so I'm confident they didn't get hold of my bank details. Thanks for the advice. I think of myself as pretty switched on about all this phishing stuff, but this email was pretty convincing and I advise everyone to check the sender before accepting it as real. The sender on this scam is displayed as noreply@O2mail.co.uk on mobile devices until you press the "show details" tab. Then it uncovers mayyen@equestinternational.com, obviously a scam. The combination of the noreply email address displayed initially and all the personal details in the email gives a pretty authentic feel.

eQuest International website has been hacked and being used as the sending base. They use Singapore based hosting so it's possible the hack originates somewhere in Asia

www.equestinternational.com

http://www.whois-search.com/whois/www.equestinternational.com

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 56 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had a response via Twitter:
@O2: @angelouisemoore We only share info with trusted partners who work on our behalf. You can find more info here: http://t.co/Bo9X4q8yVs

So I assume this means they're blaming one of their "trusted partners"?

I've responded and asked them to find out how this has happened.

The refusal to accept responsibility, lack of apology or reassurance is frustrating me more than the situation itself.

Does anyone know how to go about making a formal complaint or reporting O2 to the ICO?
Message 57 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Found this for anyone wanting answers...

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/raising-concerns/
Message 58 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice one @Anonymous and welcome to the Community
Message 59 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
angelam

Complaint link is at the foot of the forum Page.
Message 60 of 374