cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Unless you've entered bank details on a link followed from the email your account is still safe and secure - they don't have them so whatever way they are accessing the o2 account it isn't giving them access to bank account details.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 41 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5 but the keylogger (if there is one of course) would still be active wouldn't it?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Message 42 of 374

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes it would but I serious doubt it's a keylogger....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 43 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Me too. I think this is a breach at an o2 partner
Message 44 of 374

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
or a slightly disgruntled and underpaid worker at a call centre......?

Currently using:
Message 45 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 IT would be able to see that though surely. Staff only have access to info they need to do their job.
Message 46 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't input anything on the link. Bank details are protected behind a pin code on O2 online, so I'm confident they didn't get hold of my bank details. Thanks for the advice. I think of myself as pretty switched on about all this phishing stuff, but this email was pretty convincing and I advise everyone to check the sender before accepting it as real. The sender on this scam is displayed as noreply@O2mail.co.uk on mobile devices until you press the "show details" tab. Then it uncovers mayyen@equestinternational.com, obviously a scam. The combination of the noreply email address displayed initially and all the personal details in the email gives a pretty authentic feel.

Message 47 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
You were spot on to flag this though @Anonymous and thank you for sharing
Message 48 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Didn't input anything on the link. Bank details are protected behind a pin code on O2 online, so I'm confident they didn't get hold of my bank details. Thanks for the advice. I think of myself as pretty switched on about all this phishing stuff, but this email was pretty convincing and I advise everyone to check the sender before accepting it as real. The sender on this scam is displayed as noreply@O2mail.co.uk on mobile devices until you press the "show details" tab. Then it uncovers mayyen@equestinternational.com, obviously a scam. The combination of the noreply email address displayed initially and all the personal details in the email gives a pretty authentic feel.

I think the key to this is you are, as you say, pretty switched on about the phishing stuff. Sadly many people are not. Last month the forum had a similar post from someone who had entered their bank details. They were due for an upgrade and the email came through at the right time for it.

It was only after the event they came here for advice. There must be many more who did not

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 374

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Now call me suspicious but it seems strange that customer details are now readily available to the outsourced overseas live chat. I'm not happy about this, having received the same email myself this morning. There is something seriously wrong within O2 and the official line of personal PCs being the problem just doesn't wash. If this was down to keylogging then bank account details would already be in the wrong hands.

There needs to be a major internal investigation into how these scammers are getting hold of the informtion that they have and if O2 can't sort it then bring in an external inquiry team.

This is going to make the national press and media because it's such a widespread problem within O2.

Message 50 of 374