cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Anonymous
Not applicable
Much appreciated. O2 this evening were not helpful. They told me to forward them to phishing@o2.com and were unable to tell me when this would be investigated and when they would contact me again. I am very concerned about this lack of interest in what is potentially a security breach. I suspect they have hacked into my online account. I shall change my password and hope that O2 decide to take this seriously. I'm disappointed by their apparent lack of urgency about this, though.
Message 11 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I would perform a full pc scan with a detector for a keylogger too or it will just grab your new password.
What browser do you log on with and does it autocomplete?
Message 12 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Much appreciated. O2 this evening were not helpful. They told me to forward them to phishing@o2.com and were unable to tell me when this would be investigated and when they would contact me again. I am very concerned about this lack of interest in what is potentially a security breach. I suspect they have hacked into my online account. I shall change my password and hope that O2 decide to take this seriously. I'm disappointed by their apparent lack of urgency about this, though.

I really understand your concerns. O2 made a statement about it at the beginning of the month. I can't find the thread now which is why I have mentioned @Toby . There have been no further complaints on the forum since the statement was made... so I am sure they were hoping it had stopped slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had the same email, and O2 chat is useless, being told to forward an email that has all my details, which can only have come from O2 is useless. Then trying to ring the helpline, to then get an automated reply saying that no one is there till Monday smacks of incompetence. O2 needs to admit it has had its security breached, and contact all its customers to stop people logging onto a very genuine looking link. I only use an IPad to log on, so no key logger would be able to work.
Message 14 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good point. I'm on chrome and I never save passwords, but the keylogger is a good point. All that info is on my online account though, and I suspect they have just hacked into it. I'll scan the PC. Thanks
Message 15 of 374

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
O2's explanation for the last issue was users PC's that were compromised and not a breach at O2's end - Strange how it only seems to be O2 accounts that are been targeted though ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
O2's explanation for the last issue was users PC's that were compromised and not a breach at O2's end - Strange how it only seems to be O2 accounts that are been targeted though ?

And Rich...Five new posters on this thread alone complaining they have received these today? Certainly looks as if the scammers are on a roll again now...Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 374

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
And an ipad only access, no keylogger there.
Message 18 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
And anipad only access, nokeylogger there.

Explain please to the uninitiated? @viridis 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 374

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
It has no keys.
Message 20 of 374