Did you mean: 

Studying in the USA

Maurice-Moss
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I am after some information regarding using my phone in the USA.

I am considering going to Study in the USA when it is safe to travel again.

I would like to know if I can use my O2 phone over in the USA, or will I get hit with lots of roaming charges.  I have O2 Travel Inclusive Zone bolt-on my account but dont know if this would cover me for the entire time possibly 2-4 years.

I have a iPhone 11 which I have read can have two different network providers. So would be easier to get a local sim in the USA and use my UK o2 Sim for calling the UK and taking incoming calls from firends in the UK.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Maurice-Moss 

O2 travel is intended for short breaks not 2 to 4 years use.

You may be charged full roaming rates after approx 63 days out of the UK in any 4 month period.

You have to return to the UK to reset the 63 days count.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Maurice-Moss 

O2 travel is intended for short breaks not 2 to 4 years use.

You may be charged full roaming rates after approx 63 days out of the UK in any 4 month period.

You have to return to the UK to reset the 63 days count.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Maurice-Moss 

Personally, I would go for a local sim as well as using O2. If you used the local sim for the bulk of the time you are there and make sure you don't exceed 63 days of O2 use, you should be fine.

Also remember to use messenger or whatsapp over Wifi to cut down any expenditure.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Maurice-Moss You would not be able to run an O2 contract sim for that length of time in the US. You will need to use a US sim for calls texts and data, and keep in touch with your friends and family in the UK using WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger over a WiFi connection, which would be free for both you and them.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Maurice-Moss 

Make sure you get either an AT&T or T-Mobile sim to be compatible with your phone and either the O2 sim or the local US sim will need to be an e-sim as the phone won't accept two physical sim cards.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5