Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Studying abroad in Barcelona

SamiEbrahim
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi guys, I need some help with this. I'll be studying in Spain for 3 months, this coming September and I wanted to know the situation with my pay monthly contract on my S8. Can you give me options and opinions on what to do?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

@SamiEbrahim As @Glory1 has said, you'd be best to speak to customer service. I know you can use your allowance in Spain with no roaming charges, but for how long in time that you're out of the UK is the question. I'm not 100% certain, but it may be for 60 days in a row max.

However long you're away for, you're still obliged to pay your monthly charges. They can't be put on hold.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Hi @SamiEbrahim

From the way you phrase your questions you might be better speaking to Customer Services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus. The best time to ring is between 8-8:30am when the phone lines are less busy.

They would better placed to advise you on your options while you're in Spain for 3 months and provide answers to any account-based queries you have.

As we are all customers like yourself here we wouldn't be in the best position to advise you in this matter.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. And please do come back if you think we can be of assistance.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

@SamiEbrahim As @Glory1 has said, you'd be best to speak to customer service. I know you can use your allowance in Spain with no roaming charges, but for how long in time that you're out of the UK is the question. I'm not 100% certain, but it may be for 60 days in a row max.

However long you're away for, you're still obliged to pay your monthly charges. They can't be put on hold.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Hi @SamiEbrahim I hope you enjoy your study time spent in Spain.

With reference to @Bambino's comment above, this takes into consideration O2's fair usage plicy whilst abroad

*You may only use our services in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK) for periodic travel, like holidays or short breaks. If you’re not genuinely using our services for periodic travel we may have to charge you for, or suspend you from, using our services in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK). Your data usage may also be limited in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK) at a lower level than you data allowance in the UK if you’re a Pay As You Go customer. Once you go over this limit you’ll be charged. For these limits and charges please see www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/roaming-in-europe.
What to avoid: Using our services for the first time outside of the UK, using a large volume of your allowance (be that text, calls or data) in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), or using our services outside of our Europe Zone (excluding the UK) for prolonged periods which don’t follow reasonable consumer holiday and travel patterns and behaviour. If you use our services outside the UK in our Europe Zone for 60 or more days in any four month period this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of our services.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2-consumer-fair-usage-policy

Edited to add :WiFi is available all over Spain (apart from remote rural areas) Where possible, please make use of it and turn mobile data/data roaming off.

Finally, when you give customer services a call, ask them to make sure your phone is provisioned for use abroad.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

You must be really excited about going to Barcelona, @SamiEbrahim smile

How are you getting on with your contract options, did you find out more and make a decision? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 7

SamiEbrahim
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Emilie!

Yes I'm really excited! I've taken a look at all the feedback, and it seems that I obviously have to continue paying my monthly charges while abroad. I might purchase a sim card over there to make things easier! Thankfully I've been there before and I know O2 operates in Spain, so I could pop in and see what they could do.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@SamiEbrahim wrote:

Hi Emilie!

Yes I'm really excited! I've taken a look at all the feedback, and it seems that I obviously have to continue paying my monthly charges while abroad. I might purchase a sim card over there to make things easier! Thankfully I've been there before and I know O2 operates in Spain, so I could pop in and see what they could do.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi @SamiEbrahim

Just be aware if you decide to buy a PAYG sim from Movistar, Orange ES or Vodafone in Spain, you will need to take your passport, proof of where you are living and be prepared for a long wait.

The Spanish take security very seriously and if you are visiting that country, they take you through a long process before you can buy a phone or a sim.

I used to top up my data sim every time I went out there (before I had wifi in my apartment)

and it always involved a wait. Eventually the staff in the Orange store recognised me so it was a bit quicker.

Nowadays though, you should be able to top up your PAYG sim online once you have managed to purchase it. Enjoy your stay wink 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7