Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange "premium charges"

SunsAnvil
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am extremely frustrated to find that O2 were no help resolving unexpected telephone charges incurred when chasing up an on-line order that I placed on a certain high street supermarket.

I received a message from the courier (XDP) stating that they could deliver on 17/4 but they subsequently lost my product for which I have been refunded.

The problem is that XDP charged me a premium service (£35.89) for the hour I spent on the phone waiting for them to answer the phone. It was not anounced that I would be charged and I had no idea that I would be charged until I got a text from O2.

O2 will not help, the supermarket will not help and the courier also will not help. Surely it cannot be possible to create a premium number and charge people without them knowing or else anyone could set up a number nd bill people without informing them.

What infuriates me is that the supermarket has refunded the product but I' over £35 out of pocket as a result of XDP charging me and there seems to be no way to reject this charge.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Unfortunately @SunsAnvil as you made the call you are responsible for the charges.

You may get a gesture of goodwill from O2 if you call customer services on 202 but in future, you should check the cost of calls before calling.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Unfortunately @SunsAnvil as you made the call you are responsible for the charges.

You may get a gesture of goodwill from O2 if you call customer services on 202 but in future, you should check the cost of calls before calling.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @SunsAnvil 

Absolutely astonishing and I have read that XDP have a terrible rating.

I picked this up from o2 cost of calls to these premium numbers :-

When you’re making a service call to 08, 09 and 118 numbers, the charge is split into two parts. There’s the access charge, which is what we charge you, per minute, for connecting the call. Then there’s the service charge, which is decided by the organisation you’re calling – so they have to make you aware of the charge. The total cost of the call will be the access charge, plus the provider’s service charge.
If you’re making a service call, you should check the prices with the provider. They’re often operated by third parties, so we can’t let you know when their prices change.
If you use O2 premium rate and customer service numbers we'll let you know about any pricing changes in the usual way, in accordance with our terms and conditions.
You'll be charged for at least 1 minute when you call a premium rate number.
Check the table to find out the access charge per minute for calling service numbers. Bear in mind that these aren’t part of your inclusive minutes on Pay Monthly tariffs or your free minutes allowance on Pay As You Go tariffs.
Service numbers
Pay Monthly access charge - per min
Pay As You Go access charge - per min
08*
55p
55p
55p
55p
55p
55p
These charges apply across all landlines and mobile phones - not just your O2 phone. Find out more.

Reading the reviews about this company they enjoy this charge and customers had said they

would not ring the number.

Shocking abuse of Customers enquiries regarding parcel tracking/after losing the parcel too,

unforgiveable to make a charge from XDP 

I would write to the Chief Executive Officer of the Supermarket and the CEO of XDP and 

demand a refund especially as XDP lost your parcel.

Good luck ~ TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 8

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello again @SunsAnvil 

I have got the address of the registered Office for XDP it is their duty to give the letter to the CEO

The Chief Executive Officer

XDP

Sterling House

97 Lichfield Street

Tamworth

Staffordshire

B79 7QF

Ask him to refund his Company's charge to you "date" etc., 

on the basis that his Company has caused you distress and Tele charges

because XDP lost your parcel and you had to make enquiries.

You are out of pocket to the sum of £.....

and would be most obliged if he could look into the matter 

for you and refund this unacceptable cost especially as they are to blame.

It is worth a stamp 

Send to the Chief Executive Officer of the Supermarket too as they

employ this company.   The registered office will find the CEO.

and as MI5 mentioned appeal to O2 to help you with some discount.

Very best of luck ~ hope you are refunded your money. 

TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can usually find a landline alternative number on sites such as this https://www.saynoto0870.com

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@SunsAnvil  Posting the name of the supermarket both here and on other social media sites you subscribe to might help too. I'm certain they wouldn't want to see their name connected with adverse publicity. As they have been unwilling to help you, you owe them nothing by sparing them the embarrassment of posting their name. It might also help someone else who finds themselves in a similar situation.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Well said @Bambino 

That would be helpful @SunsAnvil 

We all need to avoid these typesrage

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 8

G4Grandad
Level 3: Thinker
  • 39 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Weq4u is also an excellent app in situations like this. They even warn you about possible call costs before you begin the call. Good luck and best wishes for a happy outcome
Message 8 of 8