cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Posting this on behalf of a friend to see if anyone has any ideas.

My friend has has been with O2 for years. All of a sudden this past two weeks she can't make or receive calls when at home. Signal shows as full but she cant call or text.

At first she thought it was her phone. So reset etc. still the same. She has had her sim exchanged at on O2 store twice in case the sim was the issue. Tried her sim in a different phone. Still the same.

Thing is the phone works 100% fine everywhere besides her house.

Her son is on O2. He has no issues. I'm with O2. I have no issues when there.

O2 customer service have said 'we don't know' every time she has called. That or 'call back in 24 hours if its still happening'. Then they revert back to the 'I don't know'.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Contract or PAYG? What happens if she puts her sim in her son's phone or your phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Contract. Cant check the sim in sons phone as its a different size.
Message 12 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not tried in in mine either. Will do that if she's having the same issues when I'm next there.
Message 13 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay. Put her sim in my phone and it works flawlessly. Put my sim in her phone and I get the same issues she's been having. That's in both the S3 and the HTC desire.
Message 14 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which suggests that its phone related, possibly related to its location!

Out of curiosity, what happens if WiFi is turned off on the phone? Actually, does internet access work on the phone when at home?

My immediate thoughts were that it was an account issue, but the fact it behaves the same with your SIM in it means that it must be a phone issue...and has to be location based as it only stops working when it is at "home".

I'm not an expert on Android but is there something in the settings or an app that would cause this type of problem?

Message 15 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've no idea. I've never had an android phone. She's calling O2 to ask for the settings to be resent. But this has happened in two desperate phones now. Her galaxy S3. And the spare phone. The HTC desire.
Message 16 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Internet works fine when wifi is switched off. Just no calls or sms
Message 17 of 32

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It won't be a settings issue as the apn's only control data, which is working anyway. I'd be interested to know what apps are on both the S3 and the HTC esp apps common to both phones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Both have been reset to factory. The problem still persists.

O2 CS answer is 'we don't know'.
Message 19 of 32

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I'm not surprised they have no answer as non of it makes any sense. First of all the issue followed the sim card then it started following the phone. Clearly there is nothing wrong with the network as other o2 phones work in the same location, the sim card works in your phone but not in 2 others and everything starts working again when you go for a walk down the road.... I'm racking my brains but have no answer at the moment I'm afraid... there is just no logic.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 32