cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen phone and responsibility for charges

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello community ... I had my (unlocked) phone stoeln in Naples. I am being billed £423 in unaurthoised use ... O2 is discounting all but £100 which I have to pay. The list of numbers dialled all commence with the numeral '2' which I learn from the Italian telephone site is a code 'reserved for future use'. Since this code indicates all the calls are unlawful which should I have to pay any part of the charges let alone £100? Anyone shed any light on this?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
If reported within 24 hours you are only liable for the first £100 of calls made between loss and reporting it.
So, what o2 are telling you is correct assuming those calls were made before you reported it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
If reported within 24 hours you are only liable for the first £100 of calls made between loss and reporting it.
So, what o2 are telling you is correct assuming those calls were made before you reported it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

... yeh, got that, but why does any responsibility arise for the individual account holder -- for example, if your car is stolen and used illegally no liability arises for the car owner for the unlawful acts conducted by the thief ...

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Those are the rules set by OFCOM.
Think yourself lucky as prior to that ruling you would have been liable for the full amount upto the point of reporting it.
Key point is to report it immediately which limits your liability even further and as far as the car analogy is concerned, I guess it's easier to prove who was driving the car.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You could also try an official complaint.
Resolver is known to get good results http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Sorry for the stressful loss of your phone. 

O2 have limited your liability to the £100. Quite a lump to find especially after an overseas trip. You have been treated fairly though as laid down by OFCOM so really you have no basis for a complaint. 

Message 6 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Was the phone not passcode locked ?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
More importantly the sim pin enabled?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous

We are sorry to hear about your phone. In case it helps, here's a link to a community guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it. 

And as @MI5 suggested, if you’re unhappy, you can try and talk to the Complaints team

Let us know if we can help you more. Wave

Thank you @MI5@jonsie and @adamtemp64 for your help! heart

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 9 of 9