Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Son's pay as you go top-up

Zo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,I purchased a phone for my son for Christmas from an O2 store in Nottingham on 10/12/15.I knew which phone I Wanted-lumia 640,the advisor was very friendly, went to get one,asked a few questions at her computer, then showed me a leaflet about the bundles.I decided on a £15 bundle,which I assumed would be added to the account on the 25th December when my son opened it.However, for the last few days he has received texts to say his bundle will run out and now it has.I wondered if the top-up started when I bought the phone,but this seems unfair given I made it clear it was a Christmas present and he has only used it for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if this is the case? Thanks
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123891 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7496 Solutions

Hi @Zo It does look as if it started when you bought the phone. This would be the anniversary date  Info about Big Bundles here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-and-go/big-bundles

It does say this on the Big Bundle info

Your renewal date

When we deduct the first month's payment for your Big Bundle, you'll get your inclusive monthly allowance, which will be valid up until midnight the day before your renewal date - one calendar month later.

On your renewal date, we'll attempt to deduct payment from your balance, and if successful, you will get your new inclusive monthly allowances. If you don't have enough balance, then you will not get a new set of allowances. You will need to top up the right amount so that we can deduct payment and give you another month's allowance. When this happens your allowance will be valid up until midnight of the day before your new renewal date - one calendar month later.

Call customer services if you are concerned. Explain what happened http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
  • 123891 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7496 Solutions

Hi @Zo It does look as if it started when you bought the phone. This would be the anniversary date  Info about Big Bundles here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-and-go/big-bundles

It does say this on the Big Bundle info

Your renewal date

When we deduct the first month's payment for your Big Bundle, you'll get your inclusive monthly allowance, which will be valid up until midnight the day before your renewal date - one calendar month later.

On your renewal date, we'll attempt to deduct payment from your balance, and if successful, you will get your new inclusive monthly allowances. If you don't have enough balance, then you will not get a new set of allowances. You will need to top up the right amount so that we can deduct payment and give you another month's allowance. When this happens your allowance will be valid up until midnight of the day before your new renewal date - one calendar month later.

Call customer services if you are concerned. Explain what happened http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

It would have started as soon as the credit went on the phone. As advised, call customer service to see if they can help but other than give you some credit for the phone there is little else they can do.

Message 3 of 11

Zo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, I tried on online guru but think I was too late! I will try again tomorrow, obviously if she had told me at the time that the credit would go on immediately then I would have arranged to apply it later. I am rubbish with any sort of technology,my phone is 02 pay monthly, it has all changed since I had pay-as-you-go 😀
Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123891 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7496 Solutions

It has changed @Zo from when I was payg 3 years ago. Then I could top up when needed. I would advise speaking to someone (as opposed to live chat)

Just to throw something else into the mix.....if you have bought the phone outright you may want to consider a sim only plan. Have a look at these https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity#/tariffs

Depending on your sons usage you may be able to get a cheaper one ...over 30 days or 12 months?

Anyway let us know how you get on..../

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Going for a contract makes sense if you will be topping up £15 every month. For £16/month he would get double the data and unlimited calls and texts. Data is stopped once the limit is reached so there would be no danger of going over allowances.

2.JPG

Message 6 of 11

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

yeah, but also makes the op responsible for any teenager usage. Ie premium texts, billing tk account and so on.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Curr946 wrote:

yeah, but also makes the op responsible for any teenager usage. Ie premium texts, billing tk account and so on.

That's why they can check myo2 then

Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123891 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7496 Solutions

Also as pointed out by @jonsie data is capped and with unlimited texts and calls in the tariff he showed there should be no problem. Not all teenagers are irresponsible if ground rules are set down. I have two teenagers in my close family who never ever go over their allowances. In fact one of them (when he travels to Spain with me) tends to switch his phone off when he can't use WiFi....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Curr946 wrote:

That's why they can check myo2 then

bit like bolting the stable door after the horse has already bolted

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 10 of 11