Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Re: So, new O2 tariffs - discuss

I really don't see any benefit in staying with O2.
They advertise now that all tariffs with 300min get unlimited texts, as though that's a good thing.
It's not a good thing. It's the thing that puts me off the most.
It's the minutes I really have to pay for in terms of monthly cost, and yet all I really want is more texts.
I don't want to HAVE to have more minutes JUST to get more texts. That's crazy. What happened to text bolt-ons? Why are O2 crapping on the customers that mostly use texts?
What possible (good) reason could O2 have for making it so that there are no low-minute high-text tariffs?
Seems senseless, to me. Well, as a customer, anyway. Seen from the eyes of O2 it makes perfect sense - they get to rip people off, which can only be a good thing for them (as it means more money).
Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Quite simply, they've probably done their research into customer usage and come up with the fact that the majority of customers are in the mid-range (mins/texts) and there is a small minority who are in your position. Thus it would cost them more to offer a small section of the customer base what they want than it would to keep them as customers and offer PAYG as the option.
Given that the amount of money spent by customers on text messages is small, why would they want to keep a non-profit making customer on contract?
Its all about getting customers to spend a minimum amount to extract a profit hence why you now see the T&C's being changed by all networks e.g. no downgrade (VF I know of personally) during a contract, 2 year term contracts with 18 months priced higher etc. I have no doubt that the deal you're taking over at T-mobile will disappear at some point once the smoke has cleared from the Orange takeover and they start to evaluate their customer base in more detail.
Of course, this is where I suggest that we all forget about getting that free phone opn contract and do sim-only/sim-free Smiley Wink
Anonymous

At first-glance, that may seem to be logical.
However, it just isn't true at all. A contract with a low-minute allowance and a high-text allowance is hugely profitable simply because the amount of data sent within a single text is so, so, so, so much less than the amount of data sent over voice - thus the cost to sustain a customer using mainly texts is less than that of a customer requiring mostly call time.
Hence, getting someone on a contracted monthly payment for 'unlimited' texts (which they probably won't use - and are very cheap to provide even if they do) is what a smart company should be looking to provide.
Oh well.
Anonymous

why dont they just sell you units. 1200 units for 30quid a month say.
1 min, 1 txt, 1mb data all use 1 unit
mms 0845 xnet etc could use more than 1 unit etc you get the idea.....everyone hates getting a bill for things that arnt included
o2 inclusive....everything is included you just buy the units u need???
Anonymous

That would still not work for people who want to use a lot of texts since it would work out to still be an expensive contract.

And, a contract with a low minute and high text allowance wouldn't be particularly profitable since you would want it at a cheap price. Plus, the cheaper the contract then the more money needs to be added to purchase the phone...
Low minute, high text users might be better off with a sim only deal Smiley Happy
Anonymous

High text customers are better off on PAYG schemes that offer unlimited texts with every, say, £10 top up, for one month. One example would be GiffGaff (which also allow unlimited internet for one month for each £10 top up).
Anonymous

I have no doubt that the deal you're taking over at T-mobile will disappear at some point once the smoke has cleared from the Orange takeover and they start to evaluate their customer base in more detail.

50-50 joint venture.
Anonymous

I've just tried to upgrade, and to get the same number of minutes and texts, I have to pay £2 more. In this age of austerity that is not unreasonable. However, when you look that it includes less data (as I currently have unlimited data) and also I lose the free text UK phones from abroad facility that I've had, I lose a lot of what I've had and it will cost me more for the privilege.
I spoke to 2 people - both acknowledged that they couldn't offer me as good a deal as I used to be on, and that their hands were tied but that there was nothing that they could do. They said that they could offer me a good deal on broadband package, or priority for O2 tickets - neither of which I want. I asked them to give me a reason to stay - they couldn't give me one - when the people who work at O2 are speechless, what does that tell you?
I've not upgraded. I'm now trying to decide which mobile network to move to.
Anonymous

By the way - I just tweeted O2 over 20 minutes ago to say that I'm not happy with the tariffs and thinking about leaving, and considering the tweets are picked up by their customer service department - you'd think someone would respond quite quickly - they have been responding to other tweets.
I am feeling really unwanted!!!
Anonymous

Disregarding the Twitter bit (you'd think they'd reply) it's the way of the world. Costs have gone up on pretty much everything, we enjoyed the good times of being given £10-£15 off every month for staying along with a free phone, now it's gone the other way. As for giving you a reason to stay, well what other tariffs services and coverage are available? That'll give you a reason to stay or go. If other networks offer better, take it. I may be off later this year when I know where I am moving to (don't want to tie myself in to a long contract with O2 or anyone else then find poor coverage) if I find a better tariff and better 3G service.