Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: So, new O2 tariffs - discuss

Whatever. This is ridiculous.
When an upgrade happens (which is literally years later), I'm supposed to get offered a BETTER deal than what I had previously.
What O2 is actually offering here is NOT an upgrade. It's a downgrade.
Bye bye, O2.
Your tariffs are now complete crap, and the prices are a joke. You've driven away a completely loyal customer with this greedy nonsense.
I imagine many people will start to do the same thing.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Just to recap quickly, because this comes up a lot, you and O2 owe absolutely no loyalty to each other - you have a business arrangement and nothing more.
If you can get a cheaper deal elsewhere that suits you better, take it immediately.
Likewise, if O2 can't make money from you because of what you demand they'll just let you go.
Harsh? Maybe, but everyone may as well get used to it because it's not changing.
As always, make sure you check the terms and conditions, network coverage in your area, other useful benefits etc before making any decision.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I think the word 'upgrade' is confusing though. It used to be that you get an upgrade, now it's really just signing up to continue on contract.
It's just still called 'upgrading' because that term ended up becoming the generic word for renewing a mobile phone contract - it doesn't actually mean an upgrade of hardware / terms any more.
Highlighted
Anonymous

That seems fair enough.
However, it's also fair to say that O2 markets itself as a company that 'rewards' loyal customers (I do believe that both 'reward' and 'loyal' are actually words used in ad campaigns).
What's advertised and what's being offered seem to be two different things, which is a shame because the service has always been top-notch.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I don't personally think the current service is that much better than other networks - not far enough to justify the difference in prices certainly. The level of coverage, customer care etc is pretty much standard across all the major providers now in my opinion.
O2 do seem to now be stressing trivial extras like priority tickets, bluebook etc whilst hiking their prices and cutting back on minutes, texts, internet etc.
As for 'rewards', 'loyal' etc in advertising campaigns - they're worse than politicians at stuff like that now! 2 cases in point:
1. Ending their policy of giving an actual upgrade or discount to existing customers, raising prices and describing this as their new 'Fair Deal Policy'.
2. Boasting about 'UK based customer service call-centres', knowing that most people wont realise this doesn't include 'contact' centres (online chat, e-mail help etc) which are all overseas.
Shocking really.
Highlighted
Anonymous

T-mobile:
£20pm, 100 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, and only £50 to pay if I want a Nokia E72.
Boom.
Sorted.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sounds good. 'Unlimited' internet on T-mobile is 500mb per month though, so worth taking that into account (although I don't think you're charged for going over, just throttled / cut off).
Highlighted
Topics: 22
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

T-mobile:
£20pm, 100 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, and only £50 to pay if I want a Nokia E72.
Boom.
Sorted.

and the critical question is: and for how long a contract?
Highlighted
Anonymous

A quick bit of checking indicates it would have to be a 24 month contract at £20.42/mth. Phone cost £53.
Highlighted
Anonymous

To be honest though, pretty much that same deal would be £21.50 with O2 (100 minutes, 500 texts, 500mb) and you can have a free phone like the Blackberry Curve 9300, Sony X10 Mini Pro, Nokia E5 etc
So, still well worth making sure you've got a cool-head and having a good check of terms, conditions, coverage, benefits etc before moving.