cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So man scam

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been charged £30 for entering a competition that I had no idea I was entering . I received 2 texts to tell me I had been charged £30. There was an email with the word help next to it which I promptly mailed . I received a call later that day in response to the email . I explained I didn't authorise the charges to which she replied I did and the conversation just went on I took her name the company address and the managing directors name . Now I have to try to get my money back . I have contacted O2 but have to wait 3-5 days for response . I can see I'm not alone in this Scam something really needs to be done to stop this .
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
These things are regulated by Phonepayplus. You need to report it to them http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
You need to be careful I almost fell for this ... there is websites that I make money from (click and reward ) and fill out surveys on. Some of these sites have adverts or offers that say win a free phone e.c.t just put in ur e-mail and phone number. It then has a check box to tick and in small writing it says you are signing up to a service and will revive x number of txt costing usually x £.
All I can say is be careful and read everything carefully if it was this that in fact got you?

Hope you get the money back anyway ....
@least u have sent stop to there number so u won't incure any more charges.
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous sending stop does not work every single time, there have been cases of where people are still having ,obey taken even after doing this
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous yeah but if you incure any more charges after that then o2 can clearly see you have sent stop to them and wish not to revive any more and can reverse them ,block them and report it appropriately. It may take a few more phonecalls ofcause.

Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as I'm aware texts cannot be blocked & these subscription types run on auto diallers
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
No I've not got my money back yet 😞
There wasn't an option to text stop as it wasn't a 5 digit text thing.
I've googled socman and there are so many people that have been scammed out of money.
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Socman scam
Message 8 of 17

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If this is a UK based company I will guarantee they will reimburse you, however, if it is based elsewhere in the World you can pretty much kiss it goodbye !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
If this is a UK based company I will guarantee they will reimburse you, however, if it is based elsewhere in the World you can pretty much kiss it goodbye !

Socman features a lot on other mobile phone forums... Socman.. MobileMagic and ImpulsePay slight_frown

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/My-Bill/MobileMagic-SocMan-ImpulsePay-scam/td-p/190375

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 17