Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Small prob with texts after moving from Virgin to o2

Last month I got an o2 PAYG SIM installed it in the unlocked phone (Sony Eriksson K700i) and subsequently had the existing Virgin number ported over to o2. Since changing to o2, virtually every time I go to write a text, (after the phone has been off I think) the phone indicates that Setup is required, with Yes/No options. I press Yes (obviously) then there is a Validity period menu. I select Network maximum then I can write and send my text.

Does anyone know why the phone should lose its settings for SMS? The Service centre gateway number is right - it obviously set itself up OK - I didn't enter it manually.
Topics: 48
Kudos: 589
Solutions: 48

This may sound strange but how did you have the phone unlocked?

Have you also tried a master reset on the phone?
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Ah i think you have answered you own question.

The only ethical way i can advise you to unlock a mobile is contacting the network customer care where you got your phone from and pay for a unlock code.

Any other way invalidates any warranties on the phone.

I know what happens to most phones when they unlock the phone as ive had it done and i know what it does inside to the main boards.

I dont think there is much you can do to the phone to have the settings working correctly.

sorry
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Anonymous

OK so doing it the way I did could have done some damage in a sort of way?

I didn't know a mobile operator could issue an unlocking code or I might have approached Virgin as they were very good getting the PAC code for me without bother. Felt sorry to leave them really.

I've had the phone 3 years so no warranty issue.

I think in a few months I might want to get a new phone as mine doesn't hold charge very long - never did really. But as I only changed to o2 to get the o2 broadband discount I shall leave it quite a few months until I get past the break even point! Unless it ###### me off too much that is!

Thanks anyway

I may even more upset you now, but Virgin norm gives the codes out for free as well (Sorry)

But welcome to o2.

If you need any help, let mw know or ask away on the forum

Anonymous

Oh well - live and learn eh - actually I'm not that suprised now you told me that. Virgin are generally a thoroughly good company to deal with.

Now all I've gotta do is make sure o2 broadband get my bill right (the messed it up and need to correct it next time) and get the date right for when I need to top up the mobile to qualify for the BB discount. When I bought the SIM with £10 credit, o2 didn't/don't recognise that as a top up to qualify for the BB discount. It was only when I topped up again. At least I think that is right you sort of lose the will to live after a while talking on helplines. I have insisted on an email with my correct top up date - which the helpline can't do. So they have to contact te accounts dept (strange I thought I was talking to them) to send one out. Bloke seemed offended almost that I wouldn't take his word! I just want it in writing from someone. :womanindifferent:

Thanks anyway
Anonymous

Any update

I am about to go down the same route to get the BB discount - any tips (apart from noting what you say about the first cash top-up being the one to trigger the discount)? £10 / quarter = £15 / quarter off the BB bill plus you get the call time as well.
JK
Anonymous

The email I said (and I had to force it by me sending two emails):

"The date that shows on the Bill is not when you need to top-up again. We check your account on the same day every month to see if you are still eligiable for the broadband discount, on this day(in your case, the 11th of each month) we check the last 3 months of top-up's on your mobile phone.
If we find that the mobile has not been topped up in this time period then we would send you an email and a text message."

Wierd that the bill information gives date by which you need to top up is not actually useful at all, if what they say is true. They still didn't confirm the date I needed to top up but I give up!

Best to get a free SIM from o2, tell o2 broadband the number, then top it up - but you sussed that already!