Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Simplicity and data usage

I have read thru a number of posts on this forum and it seems I don't get or have been offered the same tarrifs as other seem to have.
I'm on £10 Simplicity with 150 minutes & 300 texts, when I started I also had unlimited o2 to o2 calls.
I recently changed my o2 to o2 calls to o2 Web Daily thinking I would get the web on my new HTC Wildfire FREE. How wrong I was!
My online account states that o2 Web Daily is free with a limit of 100Mb
but what it doesn't say is as soon as you start using it you are charged at £1.02 per day, annoying or what.
question 1 is: what do you get for free? it appears that is the privilege of being able to connect to the web and NOTHING else.
question 2: what are my alternatives to get data free?
This I asked support and was told the cheapest option is £10 Simplicity + £10 for up to 500Mb of data, that means my £10 per month doubles to £20, might as well go back to a contract at that rate!
Advise and comments from people using free data and it's cost on Simplicity Please.
Anonymous

Re: Simplicity and data usage

it seems to me yr on the 30 day rolling contract simplicity - NOT the p&g simplicity, thats why yr's is different.
Anonymous

I have read thru a number of posts on this forum and it seems I don't get or have been offered the same tarrifs as other seem to have.
I'm on £10 Simplicity with 150 minutes & 300 texts, when I started I also had unlimited o2 to o2 calls.

Then you are not on payg, you are on pay monthly rolling 30 day tariff.

I recently changed my o2 to o2 calls to o2 Web Daily thinking I would get the web on my new HTC Wildfire FREE. How wrong I was!

Why did you think this? there would be no 'change' needed as web daily would already be running concurrently with your o2 calls bolt on. This is because it is a free extra on every pay monthly tariff that is not provisioned with inclusive data. It sounds like you merely removed a benefit you were getting with nothing in exchange. If this is so a call to cs should be able to restore o2 calls should you not choose the data option I'm coming to.

but what it doesn't say is as soon as you start using it you are charged at £1.02 per day, annoying or what.

Annoying? Why? This is what web daily is. Can I ask where you got your info on what the bolt is from? You seem to have completely the wrong idea.

question 1 is: what do you get for free? it appears that is the privilege of being able to connect to the web and NOTHING else.

Web Daily is a charge cap that ensures you pay no more than £1.02 per day for web browsing rather than get charged for every mb of data you used, that's why it's aimed at accounts where inclusive data is not included.

There are no really free options, but the best option would be to raise your tariff one level and add the £5 data bolt on. This would still cost the same as adding the £10 bolt on to your current tariff but instead of 150 mins and 300 SMS you would be getting 300 mins and unltd SMS for the same price, so, no cheaper, but better value.
Anonymous

Then you are not on payg, you are on pay monthly rolling 30 day tariff.
Reply:
Online Simplicity is not a monthly tarrif, a monthly tarrif means you are locked in for 12, 18 or 24 months. Simplicity is a form of Payg but with a rolling monthly amount, £10 in my case.

Why did you think this? there would be no 'change' needed as web daily would already be running concurrently with your o2 calls bolt on. This is because it is a free extra on every pay monthly tariff that is not provisioned with inclusive data. It sounds like you merely removed a benefit you were getting with nothing in exchange. If this is so a call to cs should be able to restore o2 calls should you not choose the data option I'm coming to.
Reply:
I don't use many Minutes or Texts, so changing o2-to-o2 unlimited to Data seemed the best option, as confirmed by CS.
Without this bolt-on web usage would be charged more than what I now know is limited to £1 per day. web data was not inclusive on Simplicity tarrifs as standard when I first started with simplicity and I don't know that it is now.

Annoying? Why? This is what web daily is. Can I ask where you got your info on what the bolt is from? You seem to have completely the wrong idea.
Reply:
If my online account states something is Free then I don't expect to pay anything, o2-to-o2 calls were free and all I have done by removing them is put them into my total minutes allocation, which I do not ever get to in a month.

Web Daily is a charge cap that ensures you pay no more than £1.02 per day for web browsing rather than get charged for every mb of data you used, that's why it's aimed at accounts where inclusive data is not included.
Reply:
OK, but, why do they call it a FREE service when it generates a charge?

There are no really free options, but the best option would be to raise your tariff one level and add the £5 data bolt on. This would still cost the same as adding the £10 bolt on to your current tariff but instead of 150 mins and 300 SMS you would be getting 300 mins and unltd SMS for the same price, so, no cheaper, but better value.

Reply:
I can only wait another month to see how I spend adding the daily £1.02 amounts to see if it will be cheaper for me to add the £10 on top of the £10 Simplicity amount.
Thanks for your explanations.
Anonymous

it seems to me yr on the 30 day rolling contract simplicity - NOT the p&g simplicity, thats why yr's is different.

I agree I'm on a rolling Simplicity.
Didn't know there was the 2 options. I used to be on a contract and changed to Simplicity when it first stated quite a few years ago now.
Anonymous

There are a couple of points you put that merit a reply;
Online Simplicity is not a monthly tarrif, a monthly tarrif means you are locked in for 12, 18 or 24 months. Simplicity is a form of Payg but with a rolling monthly amount, £10 in my case.

Actually, it is. Pay monthly simply means having a bill to pay every month, as you do with your tariff. It is nothing to do with payg, which simply means you only make a payment when you want or need to, there is a 12 month simplicity, but you are on the 30 day one, it's still a pay monthly tariff. So, for instance, when you call o2 to discuss your account would will be speaking to the pay monthly team who deal with contracts, not the payg team. This isn't just semantics, it's a major difference as it affects which lot of t&c's you are on
Without this bolt-on web usage would be charged more than what I now know is limited to £1 per day. web data was not inclusive on Simplicity tarrifs as standard when I first started with simplicity and I don't know that it is now. 

No, It isn't. O2 scored an own goal in my opinion, when they made data £10 on all tariffs under 300 minutes, this is why the option I mentioned gets you the data cheaper. Obviously if web daily comes in at under £10 and you don't need 300 mins, that's the way to go.
If my online account states something is Free then I don't expect to pay anything, o2-to-o2 calls were free and all I have done by removing them is put them into my total minutes allocation, which I do not ever get to in a month. 

I think here you have misunderstood the nature of bolt ons. O2 offers several bolt ons with various benefits, many of which carry a monthly charge in themselves, separately from any charges that using them incurs (ie cheaper rate calls to the USA at a 90% discount for £3 a month is one example) and some of which don't. It is important to understand what the bolt on actually is before you add it. The Web Daily bolt on specifically gives you access to the web for £1 a day and carries no charge itself, that's why it's a free bolt on.
Anonymous

Actually, it is. Pay monthly simply means having a bill to pay every month, as you do with your tariff. It is nothing to do with payg, which simply means you only make a payment when you want or need to, there is a 12 month simplicity, but you are on the 30 day one, it's still a pay monthly tariff. So, for instance, when you call o2 to discuss your account would will be speaking to the pay monthly team who deal with contracts, not the payg team. This isn't just semantics, it's a major difference as it affects which lot of t&c's you are on

OK, I sort of understand now, looking at "What is Simplicity" in my online account ALL P&G and Pay Monthly Simplicity tarrifs carry unlimited text and some have the 500Mb data usage, monthly are mostly an extra cost of £5.11
None of them are 150 minutes and 300 texts like I'm on, so why is that I wasn't given the option to go for the £15 P&G tarrif that has 100 minutes, unlimited text and 500Mb data? can I change to the £15 P&G tarrif? I will contact CS again tomorrow on 4445!
Anonymous

The tariff you are on was discontinued, so it now only gives 100 minutes. Also, yes, you could indeed have been offered the payg option, as it is available anyone out of contract and yes, if youcall cs (202 for you, you can use 4445 when on payg Smiley Very Happy ) they can make the change. The pay monthly simplicity used to be a much better deal than the payg one, but lately it's hard to say which is best and I suppose it depends on individual needs.
I'm not too au fait with the payg plans as I've never had one, but isn't the simplicity you are thinking of a case of 100 minutes OR 500MB data, but not both? Maybe someone who knows better can comment as I used all my expertise up explaining pay monthly, lol Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

many thanks for all your replies. I will contact CS as soon as. Will post the outcome when and if I change or not.