Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim swap to keep number

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12059 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

So I've recently taken the plunge and got a new phone, but as I got it through a 3rd party (way cheaper than directly through o2) it came with a new sim and new number.

Not a problem - I'd already checked with o2 CS (phone, not live chat) and they said to call up to swap it all over once I'd got it.

Just called - current wait is over 30 minutes. Maybe not then...

So tried the swap my sim on line. Enter old phone number, text code and new sim card number only to get an error message - We are already doing a sim swap for your phone number.

Odd, I've not asked to do one already. 

Has anyone seen this before and any suggestions? Should I wait or keep trying CS?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yes, if it's an upgrade they would have to initiate the sim swap, otherwise it would be a new contract and the customer would have 2 contracts running as the old one wouldn't be cancelled.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 58

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Gotcha. Understood. Thank you. Hopefully the OP will return and let us know, and also have been successful with the sim swap.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 22 of 58

gmarkj
  • 12059 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Ok, clearly opened the proverbial can of worms here...

Some more information about what I've done:

• It was a taken out as a new contract with o2 through a 3rd party website (taken out over the phone!). I did mention I was on o2 and would eventually transfer number over but said that o2 were going to do that.
  • New handset.
  • New sim card sent out.
  • Before taking out said contract, I asked o2 if it was possible to do this and keep my number - over the phone - and was told yes they would swap number to new sim. This would also close old account.
  • New phone arrived last week, didn't insert sim straight away in case I changed my mind (Ts & Cs on 3rd party said inserting sim caused the phone to not be considered "new").
  • Had a play with phone over weekend, decided I was keeping it, and put sim card in this morning (after taking note of the sim number) and called old phone to get new number.
  • Searched online (here and help section) and got the swap my sim link.
  • Completed online form and got error message as per post 1 - We are already doing a sim swap for your phone number.
  • Phoned CS but got told 30 minute wait so came here and asked the question.
  • While waiting for a response (what kept you guys?!? :smileywink:) tried CS again and got through.
  • Helpful chap took all details and completed a form his end and said it went through ok - normal guff about 24 hours but should be quicker, turn phone on and off, etc.

So that is how things currently stand - both old and new phone are on o2, both pay monthly (one on refresh, one standard 24 month), both still connected to network.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 23 of 58

gmarkj
  • 12059 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
@MI5 - I took the new contract out as a seperate entity, but when I spoke to CS before taking it out they confirmed they would swap my old number to the new handset and this would close the old account.

Message 24 of 58

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
@MI5 - I took the new contract out as a seperate entity, but when I spoke to CS before taking it out they confirmed they would swap my old number to the new handset and this would close the old account.

Yes that is correct, but I can't understand why you got the sim swap already in progress message, unless it was just a glitch.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 25 of 58

gmarkj
  • 12059 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Really no clue. Would hope that is all it is otherwise going to get rather annoyed.
Suppose it serves me right for trying to get a better deal...

Message 26 of 58

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It shouldn't be a problem at all mate.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 58

gmarkj
  • 12059 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Fingers crossed then...

Message 28 of 58

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Thanks for clarifying the situation @gmarkj. Hope your number swaps without any more dramas and that this little episode comes to an end soon.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 29 of 58

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions