Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim swap to keep number

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

So I've recently taken the plunge and got a new phone, but as I got it through a 3rd party (way cheaper than directly through o2) it came with a new sim and new number.

Not a problem - I'd already checked with o2 CS (phone, not live chat) and they said to call up to swap it all over once I'd got it.

Just called - current wait is over 30 minutes. Maybe not then...

So tried the swap my sim on line. Enter old phone number, text code and new sim card number only to get an error message - We are already doing a sim swap for your phone number.

Odd, I've not asked to do one already. 

Has anyone seen this before and any suggestions? Should I wait or keep trying CS?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Tried the sim swap as a first point but when I got the error message I was stumped, so tried CS but given the reported waiting time I came here.
Luckily it seems the waiting time was a little less (or maybe I just got through to a different team?) so hopefully all sorted now...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 11 of 58

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Getting through to CS is always a lottery. Waiting times and good CS agents alike. Hopefully the one you spoke to was on the ball. Hope it's been sorted for you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143440 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Did you buy new phone as an upgrade?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 58

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

OP said it was a new phone from a third party seller, so not an upgrade.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 58

MI5
  • 143440 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It could still be an upgrade though and would explain why the sim swap was already in progress.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 58

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I don't really understand how that can be. I thought if you took out a contract from a third party seller it was a new fixed 24 month one, and O2 don't do them in house any more. I'm happy to be educated, though. Aside from that, the OP said he never initiated the swap and only saw that it was in progress when he went online.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 58

MI5
  • 143440 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, I can go into CPW and say I want to upgrade my O2 contract and they will happily do it for me.
I don't have to upgrade with O2 if I can get a deal elsewhere, but I will not get refresh, as you say.
If CPW did do the upgrade they would have initiated the sim swap, hence why it said that online.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 58

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Ah, okay. I did ask if the third party possibly initiated it in a post on the first page but the OP said they weren't sure. The name of the third party seller had not been mentioned.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 18 of 58

MI5
  • 143440 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

I just used CPW as an example.

IF it was an upgrade they would have initiated the sim swap automatically or else it wouldn't be an upgrade.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 58

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Okay. Would all third party sellers do that as a matter of course if you asked for an upgrade? Perhaps @gmarkj can return to the thread and clarify?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 20 of 58