Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim swap not working help

Di1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Uber desperate for advice if anyone is in the know.  iPhone Xr stolen 3 days ago.  Following advice of person I spoke to at 02 when I reported phone missing, went into 02 next day with old handset (iPhoneSE) and got new sim.  Told sim should kick in within 24 hours.  End of day nothing except 02 phone signal which had been there since putting new sim in. No 3/4G, can't receive or make calls or texts.  Can only iMessage/FaceTime or internet browse when on WiFi. Later same day, went into another shop, told there was a bar on the sim.  They lifted the bar and told to wait another 24 hours.  24 hours later still nothing.  After many calls to 02 and different opinions (obviously) they said it must be faulty sim card and to go back to a shop and get another new one and complete sim swap. ( In 02 shop tried the 'faulty' sim in a different handset and had the same problem with no 3g etc suggesting handset isn't the issue.)

It's now half a day into the second attempt at a new sim and still nothing.  I'm sure after 24 hours I'll be in the same boat ! I've no idea why they're behaving like this.  

Can anyone shed any light ????

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Di1 

When a phone is reported lost, O2 apply 2 bars. One to the sim and one to the account.

Customer service need to lift both bars before a new sim will work Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely speak to customer service, there is a bar on your account so don't depend on live chat. Once the bar is removed you need to reboot the phone at regular intervals until service is restored.

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Message 3 of 7

Di1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

02 say all bars and restrictions have been removed from the account.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Di1 

I don't believe that.

Please call again and be specific about removing the account bar too.

The only other option is that your handset is faulty but you've checked that already?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Di1 have you had any joy getting your new sim active yet? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 7