Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim swap does not appear to be working

csc2ya2
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I purchased an HTC One a few days ago, but didn't realize until it arrived that it needed a microsim. I ordered one from the site, and it arrived yesterday. I've now tried the swap my sim page 3 times, and the only thing that has happened is that the new sim has gone dead.

From what I understood, the old sim should go dead first, followed by the new sim, then the new sim should come back online with the number from the old sim.

I'm therefore slightly concerned that it's done the swap in the wrong direction and i'm going to lose my number (i'm sure I followed the directions correctly though: entered my number into the page, then entered the verification code I recieved by text. I was then asked for the serial number of the new sim, which I entered. Right after doing this, the new sim lost service.)

I've tried phoning both numbers from a landline, and my original number still rings on my old phone, but the new number comes up as not recognized, which makes me think it's in progress.

If I reboot the One, it comes up with 'preparing Sim card', followed by 'restricted access changed' which I understand means that voice or data services are blocked on that sim.

I would contact o2, except I don't have the time to phone at the moment, and live chat seems to be perpetually busy according to the support page. I also can't get to an o2 store (if i need to) until tuesday at the earliest.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

csc2ya2
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Turns out I just needed to wait a bit longer. Both sims were showing no service when I woke up earlier. Rebooted the One, and the microsim is now online with my old number.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

From what you say you have performed the sim swap as it should be done.

It can take 24 hours + if the Network is busy but typically takes around 2 hours.

And yes the sim swap transfers your number and tariff across from your old sim to the blank sim you acquired from the network.

Live Chat at the moment are generally Ok for low level general enquiries and the guys in an 02 shop would most likely give you their store phone to ring Customer Services.

It is possible the blank sim you received is corrupted too.

If I was in your shoes I would visit an 02 shop and ask for a blank sim for my specific payg account as they are different for pay monthly accounts, and use their phone to carry out the sim swap process.

Message 2 of 4

csc2ya2
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Turns out I just needed to wait a bit longer. Both sims were showing no service when I woke up earlier. Rebooted the One, and the microsim is now online with my old number.

Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Patience is a virtue !

wink
Message 4 of 4