cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim swap and stay on existing tariff?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've got a question regarding sim swapping.

I'm currently on O2 Refresh, with 5 months remaining on my contract. My phone is an iPhone 4S, with £50 outstanding on my rental agreement.

I've been offered an unlocked iPhone 6 at a decent price and I'd like to use it in place of my 4S, but stay on the same contract/tariff.

Can I do this with a sim swap?

I'd rather not start a new contract, as the nearest equivalent tariff offers 1/3 less data for a higher cost, compared with my current terms!

Are there any potential pitfalls?

I know I'll still have to pay off my 4S, but it'll still work out a lot less than upgrading/starting a new contract.

Any advice gratefully received!

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Do the sim swap and you can remain on your present tariff for as long as you like. If it suits your needs then it just rolls on month by month until you want a different tariff.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You could do it ...swapping your micro for a nano sim and by far the easiest way is to do it instore.

However, if you have only 5 months left and £50 to pay on your device I wonder if a new sim only contract would suit you better?

There are some really good deals with O2 at present. Have a look here..

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity#/tariffs?deviceType=phone

You can have these Simplicity simo for 30 days or 12 months.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response Cleoriff.

My current tariff is still better value than any of the simplicity ones, so I'd like to stay on it for as long as possible.

(and I'm keen to upgrade my phone now, given the rubbish performance of my 4S with iOS9 ...)

So - I'd just need to bring the new phone into an O2 store and they would do the swap there and then?

Call my cynical, but I'm surprised they'd be so obliging, as there's nothing in it for O2 !

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous You could do it ...swapping your micro for a nano sim and by far the easiest way is to do it instore.

However, if you have only 5 months left and £50 to pay on your device I wonder if a new sim only contract would suit you better?

There are some really good deals with O2 at present. Have a look here..

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity#/tariffs?deviceType=phone

You can have these Simplicity simo for 30 days or 12 months.

Message 3 of 17

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Do the sim swap and you can remain on your present tariff for as long as you like. If it suits your needs then it just rolls on month by month until you want a different tariff.

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I was hoping would be the case!
One thing that just occured to me though is getting 4G data ... I suspect my original tariff was for 3G data (as that's all the phone supports) so are O2 going to make me change my tariff anyway to get 4G ?

@jonsie wrote:

Message 5 of 17

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

There is no real need to pay off the handset to be honest but it will reduce your monthly outgoings.

Message 6 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Your new sim will be 4G enabled...which is good if you are swapping to the 6 model 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks - I wasn't sure if it was the tariff or the sim that dictated whether you could get 4g data
Message 8 of 17

MI5
  • 144135 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Everyone gets 4g now on all tariffs I believe.
Which one are you on?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm on the 'O2 600 24 month' tariff, with 750mb of data.

@MI5 wrote:
Everyone gets 4g now on all tariffs I believe.
Which one are you on?

Message 10 of 17