cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim only

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I am completely stumped here. On 1st September 2014, I called O2 because my son was starting secondary school and I wanted him to be able to call if the bus was late etc. he had been in Pay as you Go but I wanted more security for both of us. The geezer at O2 said he had the perfect option. £10 a month for 300 mins talk time plus 1000 texts. To be paid monthly. Perfect, I thought. Set monthly bill that he couldn't exceed plus he is eleven so this made me happy. So I called 02 today to check this. They said he was still on P&g and there would be charges if he went over his limit. Then I spoke to someone else and they wouldn't speak to me because I didn't have the phone with me. Durr, it is at school with my son. Which bit if 'he is 11 years old' don't they understand. I am completely confused. No-one seems to know what is going on. We all are with 02 but that may not last at this rate. Anyone know whether sim only actually exists and how can I limit my son's expenditure?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'd speak to O2 further via 202 about this.

Also O2 don't put allowance caps on texts or minutes on contracts im afraid.

If he uses his data up then that just stops.

To be honest you may be better keeping him on payg to stop accidental use of going over his allowances.

A payg tariff called O2 unlimited exists.

O2 Unlimited ; A Tariff where you get some allowances and also keep your top up credit. http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo
Message 2 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I also can't understand why O2 could not speak to you? You are obviously the account holder as age 11 he couldn't possibly be slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I also can't understand why O2 could not speak to you? You are obviously the account holder as age 11 he couldn't possibly be slight_frown

To confirm the account holder is who they say they are ,and are in possession of the phone / sim they sometimes text a security code to the phone which you then repeat over the phone to them. 

Although i I agree if you know the account password / account details and are the account holder then they should deal with them. 

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not strictly the account holder! It was his brother's phone then we moved from Vodafone to 02 (with difficulty) and in actuality there is no account holder!
Message 5 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144343 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
If you want a capped contract (to prevent any overspend), have a look at Tesco. They run on O2 so you get the same signal level but will stop usage in a monthly period if a certain spend limit is reached.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

It's possible because you weren't actually calling from the phone but in 17 years I have never been asked if I had the phone with me when calling them even if calling from a landline. As long as you can pass security questions they will speak to you.

Check in My O2 for the exact tariff you have been put on and to see what out of allowance charges are. As said, data will just stop once allowance is reached so the only likely charges would be sending picture messages or overlong texts and going over the minutes allowance.

You can also monitor his usage and the numbers called in My O2. I don't think this constitutes an invasion of privacy as he is only 11 and you have to weigh that up against parental responsibility.

Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Did you request the payg O2 account to be upgraded to a Sim only.

Is this payg account in his brothers name ?
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Heehee, the password was his name so managed to get past security. Have now got all the answers I wanted! Sim only is Pay as you Go not contract. Jeez, I actually rated 02 customer service but at least it is better than Vodafone still!
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
02 weren't happy when I mentioned that! But I know from other mums that Tesco have great coverage round here. And so do 02.
Message 10 of 17