cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim only declined with the reason "velocity decline" after issues entering passport details

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my first post

I was after some advice as to what to do in my situation

I went into the o2 store today to apply for a 30 day sim only, went through entering the information. I was then asked for my Passport and Driving Licence number, which no problem I had them with me

When the sales advisor entered my details, it kept coming up as incorrect passport number.

The passport number is correct as I've used it for I.D for security clearance at work (CRB, DBS and Ministry of Defence checks) and no problems

When the sales advisor kept clicking submit to the invalid passport number, he got a message saying "velocity decline"

He asked in the store, no one had heard of it so he tried again and it once again came up with velocity decline.

When he spoke to store support (I presume) on the phone they mentioned that in the passport number you have to enter a series of <<<< as part of the number but he mistyped them.

Not sure what do to do now, as he said another check within 30 days would decline.

So should I wait 30 days or more, pr pursue this application

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Totally agree with that @jonsie. I have used the experience on here with a family member who was applying online for a loan...1st one refused.. subsequent others also refused. Went intore to Nationwide (who she banks with) and they accepted application. She was told that the online refusals has resulted in lowered credit rating

Exactly...horses for courses. We all have our areas of expertise and shouldn't really comment on things we know little about apart from policy and procedure.

Message 11 of 26

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

No offence @PhoneDoc but have you any experience in credit checks and cancelling multiple checks on o2's and the reference agency records?

Spent a good while there typing out why I don't think this will appear on OPs credit file. In the end, thought why bother, someone will just come along to challenge it. I mean, it's only my job.

OP: if you're now under the impression that your credit score is in single digits, Experian can provide you with a statutory report. I do not believe todays encounter will be recorded on it, however, and I wish you the best of luck in getting your sim only contract.

Message 12 of 26

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Exactly...horses for courses. We all have our areas of expertise and shouldn't really comment on things we know little about apart from policy and procedure.

Now I take it back.

• The additional information request form is generated to locate your credit file and protect against fraud.
  • You cannot proceed to the credit vet without entering the correct information.
  • Only after entering the correct information, and this being accepted by the Experian API on our tills, will it proceed to the credit vet.
  • Only at this stage can a "Credit Vet Declined" decision be rendered.
  • OP did not get to this stage as the store could not get past the additional information request form.
  • The "Velocity decline" message is likely a safeguard built in to the software, triggered by the adviser repeatidly clicking to proceed.
  • It should not be confused with "Credit vet declined" - a discrete result returned to our tills upon completion of a failed credit check.
  • Once again: this is not the same as being declined on the basis of your credit.
  • In my opinion OP has not failed the credit check as the credit check could not be carried out
  • This may be my opinion. But it's an educated opinion from working with these systems and processes and carrying out credit checks and completing additional information request forms for 3 years.
  • OP can certainly contact experian for a statutory credit report for peace of mind.
  • Im sure OP will need some peace of mind. Because two of you have implied that without a doubt his/her credit score will now be in single digits. Despite the fact one credit search was never run, never mind multiple.
Message 13 of 26

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I would rather be safe than sorry and have my file checked. Regards, but what @PhoneDoc wrote sounds plausible, and as said used that system for years.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 14 of 26

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@PhoneDoc wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

No offence @PhoneDoc but have you any experience in credit checks and cancelling multiple checks on o2's and the reference agency records?

Spent a good while there typing out why I don't think this will appear on OPs credit file. In the end, thought why bother, someone will just come along to challenge it. I mean, it's only my job.

Mjob too mate, on a full time basis for many years....but thanks for your thoughts.

Message 15 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for all the responses

Just to confirm I am on the electoral roll and have been for 6 years, the only other credit I have is my vodafone contract which is kept up to date, I don't have any loans, overdrafts etc etc

I've had to use my passport and driving licence for work as forms of I.D to get Ministry of Defence clearance, police checks and also DBS and previously CRB checked and have never had any issues before with my passport or driving licence

I didn't have a 2nd card I could use as I.D so will look into that next and reapply in a couple of months

The search wasn't recorded on my experian file and my score is 960

Message 16 of 26

MI5
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I assume the data was entered incorrectly by the shop staff........
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122381 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous This really sounds like advisor error being responsible for the decline. There appears to be no otheer reason based on all the information you have provided. Your credit score sounds fine. You are on the electoral roll and already have a contract with vodafone which is in good order. You shouldn't need a second card as ID. Personally I would wait a couple of weeks and try again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 26

MI5
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
or try online.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122381 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
or try online.

Which is what I would do if honest. I would then be responsible for inputting my own info and not be risking anyone else making a mistake

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 26