cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim only declined with the reason "velocity decline" after issues entering passport details

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my first post

I was after some advice as to what to do in my situation

I went into the o2 store today to apply for a 30 day sim only, went through entering the information. I was then asked for my Passport and Driving Licence number, which no problem I had them with me

When the sales advisor entered my details, it kept coming up as incorrect passport number.

The passport number is correct as I've used it for I.D for security clearance at work (CRB, DBS and Ministry of Defence checks) and no problems

When the sales advisor kept clicking submit to the invalid passport number, he got a message saying "velocity decline"

He asked in the store, no one had heard of it so he tried again and it once again came up with velocity decline.

When he spoke to store support (I presume) on the phone they mentioned that in the passport number you have to enter a series of <<<< as part of the number but he mistyped them.

Not sure what do to do now, as he said another check within 30 days would decline.

So should I wait 30 days or more, pr pursue this application

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous This really sounds like advisor error being responsible for the decline. There appears to be no otheer reason based on all the information you have provided. Your credit score sounds fine. You are on the electoral roll and already have a contract with vodafone which is in good order. You shouldn't need a second card as ID. Personally I would wait a couple of weeks and try again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Velocity decline is too many applications in a short period of time and will have a detrimental effect on your credit score. You need to leave another application for a couple of of weeks and try again 

Message 2 of 26

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Doesn't the store need to arrange for the previous applications removed to avoid damage to the ops credit file?
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 3 of 26

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

In a word no and I doubt if they know how to do that or if they are really bothered.  Move on, next customer please. ....

Message 4 of 26

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@jonsie Would the OP encounter the same problem at this point if they tried to get a sim only contract from a different network?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 26

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

In this instance I would try ordering online but give it a week just in case the previous attempts give you issues.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 26

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Hi folks, just to clarify, our credit vet process does two things:

1. Makes sure you are who you say you are.
  2. Makes sure you're in a position to take on an agreement.

This is an issue with the first part. The credit vet agency we use couldn't verify you. OP are you on the electoral roll? Have you changed your address recently? Is the address you gave the adviser the same as that registered to your bank/credit agency? Have you had a phone contract or any other type of credit agreement before?

It's unlikely ordering online will get a different result as exactly the same system is used. The only way I can forsee this working is if the additional information request was prompted by the adviser entering in some of your details incorrectly, such as your house number etc.

For the general interest of others, O2 won't decline a credit check on part 2 for SIM only contracts (except for specific circumstances). This is because the customer is not being provided with a tangible product - only a service, which can be terminated at little cost to the company upon non-payment. As such, I can't forsee todays events having a negative impact on OPs credit file (if the file was located at all).

Message 7 of 26

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@jonsie Would the OP encounter the same problem at this point if they tried to get a sim only contract from a different network?

I doubt it but the fact that there has been multiple credit searches WILL impact a credit file despite what o2 staff say. For many years I worked in a bank dealing with credit card applications. EVERY search lowers your credit score if the first application is declined. Many factors from personal circumstances to a blacklisted address can influence a decision. Usually upon appeal these factors can be reviewed but O2 staff will not try to help in this situation. If the computer says no, that's end of your and their contract negotiations. 

Message 8 of 26

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

No offence @PhoneDoc but have you any experience in credit checks and cancelling multiple checks on o2's and the reference agency records?

Message 9 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Totally agree with that @jonsie. I have used the experience on here with a family member who was applying online for a loan...1st one refused.. subsequent others also refused. Went intore to Nationwide (who she banks with) and they accepted application. She was told that the online refusals has resulted in lowered credit rating

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 26