Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sim free PAYG

I have a Sony Eriksson K700i bought from Virgin about 3 years ago. A few months back I had it unlocked and got an o2 SIM (Favourite Place). Since unlocking the text doesn't work as well (needs setting up each time I want to write a new text). Not a big deal really, but if I wanted to get another phone that will work properly it will need to be SIM free or without a SIM but locked for o2. Only want o2 as I have o2 broadband.

Anyway, my question - I don't want to spend much on a new phone, but if I go into say an o2 shop will I be able to get a phone minus the SIM, as one can a Virgin phone without the Virgin joining pack (if I was still on Virgin). Or are PAYG phones on o2 only available with SIM.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sim free PAYG

You can upgrade in an O2 shop, you will even get a discount off the handset (or some free call time if you prefer). Or you can call 2550 from your handset and do it over the phone.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sim free PAYG

If you do buy a phone, you can just ask them to pop in your current sim in store.

Or when you get home, just chuck away the sim in the phone and put in your current one, simple as !
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sim free PAYG

OK I see. Do I have to buy a phone, if I get one with SIM, that has the same (Favourite Place) tariff? I notice for example on the website a Nokia with a choice of three tariffs, but the Favourite Place tariff says you have to top up £30/month for unlimited free minute to landlines and o2. My SIM gives me 500 minutes (more than enough for me, for a month for a £10 top up. I don't top up nearly as often as every month, just the minimum 3 month requirement for o2 broadband discount.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sim free PAYG

Arjan has unintentionally misled you. If you upgrade in-store or over the phone you will remain on your current tariff. There is no need to worry about a new SIM. Everything will continue as before, just with a new handset.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sim free PAYG

OK thanks all for your advice. Just want to make sure I don't get (mis)led down some path and be supplied with something I don't want, despite assurances everything remains as is. When I bought the SIM I wasnted a Favourite Place one. Initially I was told they were out of stock and was sent to another o2 shop very near, who I was assured had just recieved some. They hadn't. I returned to the shop, told him. Themn was asked to wait while he disappred behind the scenes on his phone. He returned a minute later with a SIM pack claiming it was new stoc not yet booked in.

IT has pictures of iPhone all over it, but it was a Favourite Place one. FOr it to be "free" I had to buy £10 call time which was added then. I told him it was for BB discount purposes. Once I got it home and installed it worked OK but I got leads of texts from o2 pertaining to bolts for iPhone. Long and the short of it - it was a SIM for an iPhone and the £10 didn't count for BB discount. I actually have to top it up myself before it registered.

That's the sort of practice I want to avoid - sins of omission!

Thanks for your help anyway. At the end of the day I'll be more wary and walk if I'm not totally happy.