Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim activation debacle

LeonH
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Any update on the sim activation debacle that's involving o2 and giff-gaff? There's a post with over 300 replies on their forum so don't know why it's so quiet here (https://community.giffgaff.com/d/33000487-number-transfers-and-activations-28th-august-2019). I know it's a different network but the infrastructure seems to be shared. Short story - if you got a new sim a few days towards the start of the week then from what I understand everyone will be experiencing issues. I got my sim on Tuesday but still have no service and who knows when it will be activated. Will this likely happen over the weekend or are we looking at next week now? Thanks

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
We've had one or two but nowhere near 300 pages worth, oh and nothing much happens at O2 over the weekend either wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

LeonH
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5. Well I haven't swapped phone providers for about 8 years so sods law it's in the 3 day period where the system fails. Next week it is. Given that my contract started on the 27th and have been billed since that date is it worth asking customer services for a refund for the period of the outage given that it will be about a week where I haven't had a service to pay for, or is it easier to ask a chicken to put up a deck chair? 

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You should be fine getting a credit, just give them a call once you're connected.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@LeonH wrote:

Thanks MI5. Well I haven't swapped phone providers for about 8 years so sods law it's in the 3 day period where the system fails. Next week it is. Given that my contract started on the 27th and have been billed since that date is it worth asking customer services for a refund for the period of the outage given that it will be about a week where I haven't had a service to pay for, or is it easier to ask a chicken to put up a deck chair? 

I'm not laughing at you @LeonH  but that comment about asking a chicken to put up a deck chair is cracking. I must remember that one LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

LeonH
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No problem Cleoriff 👍. I only have 3s customer service to go on and 2 interactions with o2. Sometimes it’s like asking a chicken to lay an egg. Ie, painful but relatively straight forward. Other times it was similar to the deckchair. You just don’t know what your going to get with these customer service folks. I had a bad experience with o2 on Tuesday where they tried to convince me my phone was locked to 3 which was why the sim wouldn’t work...The guy earlier said there was an issue registering new sims/numbers for select dates, so that was fine. 

As a side note, it was annoying when I took a walk down to my local o2 store earlier thinking they could help. They did. By putting me on the phone to customer services. Still the walk was nice enough. Anyway, I’m tired and grumpy so I’ll take my leave. I hope you don’t charge for these counselling sessions. 

Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

No all counselling is free on here @LeonH. rofl

Welcome to the forum by the way Welcome

We are a friendly bunch, albeit slightly mad. You will fit in very nicely Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Good morning @LeonH, and welcome to the community slight_smile I just wanted to check if you were all sorted now? If you need more help, do give us a shout!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 13

LeonH
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Emilie, the sim got activated yesterday after nearly a week but all’s well that ends well. Number is currently porting across from 3 so I’ve got no service again today but that was expected and should be done by the end of the day. I’ll keep restarting the phone to check. Fingers crossed there’s no issues! Cheers

Message 9 of 13

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That's fantastic news, thanks for letting us know @LeonH!, and have a lovely day as well! slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 13