cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Only Default is Ruining My Life

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have recently begun the process of buying a house with my partner and whilst checking my credit I found out I had a default against me for £22.14.

I understand that the telecommunications companies are not contractually obliged to tell their customers they are about to default but this minor sum that I could easily have afforded is now preventing me from moving on with my life.

I contacted o2 and they said they text me once, emailed me once and sent one letter. I obviously wouldn't have seen a text as I didn't have a mobile phone, I went through my emails and couldn't find any evidence of that and maybe I received a letter a year ago, I have no idea at this point.

I liked o2, I was with them for a number of years and even worked there for a while but this default has felt like a slap in the face.

Is there anyway this can be solved. I've paid the money to debt company and am feeling like this punishment for a small mistake is grossly over the top.

Please help me. My account was 1021361409
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144140 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Google o2 credit referrals team and contact them.
You can also put a note of correction on your own credit file if you contact equifax.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144140 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Google o2 credit referrals team and contact them.
You can also put a note of correction on your own credit file if you contact equifax.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122794 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

CreditFileReferrals@o2.com 

I think this is what the OP needs @MI5?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144140 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Yeah that's it.
There is also am address to write in to.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

The problem is that the default was correctly applied so adding a note will be inconsequential until the debt is cleared . 

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Reading again I see the debt has been settled so a correction notice may help

Message 6 of 10

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Sadly if the default was recorded correctly then there's probably little to be gained by speaking to the referrals team, as O2 are under an obligation to report accurate data as a condition of expecting accurate data in return when making credit decisions.

Probably much more important is to get yourself a decent mortgage broker, and be totally up-front and honest about the issue. I know from personal experience that negative credit information isn't necessarily a barrier to lending, you just need to apply to the right people in the right way.

A notice of correction explaining any extenuating circumstances probably wouldn't hurt, but just be conscious of the fact this may mean that other credit applications are delayed slightly as most will be reviewed manually rather than being approved/declined automatically using scoring alone.

Of course, if the default is reported in error then absolutely speak to CS or contact the referrals team using the details provided by the guys above.

Good luck with it all! slight_smile 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144140 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
As the debt has now been settled a notice of correction is essential.
It may not help with every lender but it will with some.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Why didn't you leave the direct debit in place to pay the final bill. This would have avoided this whole situation.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
Why didn't you leave the direct debit in place to pay the final bill. This would have avoided this whole situation.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing which is why we always advise leaving the Direct debit in place until after the final bill but o2 never explain this to customers when closing an account.

Message 10 of 10