Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card Suddenly Stopped Working

Jezza717
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My sim card suddenly stopped working today, I didn't really notice when it stopped working during work as I was connected to WiFi all day. I noticed when I was about drive back noticing there was no signal, but didn't think much about it. 

I ordered a new SIM on Saturday in order to get 5G (my SIM card is quite old now), I did get an email today saying it is on the way. 

I checked that there is signal in my area and my phone comes up with a SIM card error notification. 

I am unable to call O2 or use their chat on the app, because it appears it needs an O2 carrier to work....

It seems like O2 has stopped my SIM card because I am getting a new one. But why has it stopped it before I have even received the SIM card, let alone try to activate it. 
Looks like my best bet is to go to the store tomorrow, but has anyone else had this issue before? Any short term fixes? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Lzzzy
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have the same problem and it’s infuriating - plus causes problems for children to contact or tomorrow I’m on a train to London with no way to contact anyone. Currently on hold (20 mins in) waiting to speak to an advisor 0344 809 0202

Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Jezza717 

No short term fixes i'm afraid.

When you rang up did you say it was lost or anything, as for it to be deactivated is a bit odd..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 8

Jezza717
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Lzzzy  Exactly, I am supposed to be going out and driving places this week and will need to have my phone. With how mail has been, I may not get my sim until next week.

Message 4 of 8

Jezza717
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh  Nope, I just said to them that I have an old sim and I recently got a new phone with 5G, so I will need a replacement sim in order to use 5G. If I remember correctly, SIMs that are from pre-2019 wont work for 5G.

Message 5 of 8

Stan04
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. I am having the same issue. Have order 5g sim and now I don’t have any signal 

Message 6 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Jezza717 

You need a new sim for 5G if you have not had replaced as you say since 2019

All we can suggest as members of the community is speak to someone in the morning, as there wont be any support now until 8am from o2

I know it sounds like a broken record, but all we can advise is:

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 8

Jezza717
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh Yes, which is why I now requested a new one.
Thanks, I have gotten through to the support chat now on MyO2 and they said they are open till 11pm, will see if I get anywhere with it. 

Message 8 of 8