cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Boxes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if Sim Boxes are legal in the UK?

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope you get the outcome you want.
Message 11 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Liberian Regulator Raids Mobile Network Following SIM Box Fraud
December 17th 2013

Liberia's telecoms regulator says that it seized SIM Box equipment from a local mobile network operator and has arrested an employee at the company.

The LTA said that it found 188 SIM cards attached to the SIM-Box, which is used to bypass termination fees for international calls by making them appear to be originating locally.

The ISP technical supervisor at the mobile network, Novafone was arrested on charges of defrauding the government. The supervisor, Hussein Dakroub claimed that the SIM box was supplied by the company's former CEO, Chadi Salim, who is no longer in the country.

Angelique Weeks, the acting chairperson at LTA, said: "This is another example of LTA's ongoing efforts in the fight to thwart criminal activities that deny the government of much needed revenue from the telecom sector
Message 12 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the link for this Sim Box Fraud information about it
http://www.cellular-news.com/tags/sim-box/
Message 13 of 53

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Unfortunately people use these devices for just these purposes which is why the networks are so strict on their use.

Message 14 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know I'm glad Network put a Banned on used em as a Sim boxes Gateway ect!
Message 15 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous , any thoughts on this one? legal or illegal?

Message 16 of 53

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's not really a question of legality, more a question as to whether O2 will allow the use of one. Certainly their terms are quite clear about needing permission but my own thoughts are that permission is unlikely. I would be surprised but hopefully the OP will update after speaking to them.

Message 17 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just because one user with a Sim Box uses '188' Sim Cards in a Sim-Box for commerical use and avoid costs like that doesn't mean everyone with a Sim-Box uses it for this reason.

Message 18 of 53

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Just because one user with a Sim Box uses '188' Sim Cards in a Sim-Box for commerical use and avoid costs like that doesn't mean everyone with a Sim-Box uses it for this reason.

Hence the reason O2 will want to speak to you about it but I do wish you good luck.

Message 19 of 53

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I'm sure if you can provide a legitimate enough reason to O2 they will allow you license, but be prepared for a refusal anyways.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 53