cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Boxes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if Sim Boxes are legal in the UK?

Message 1 of 53
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It is forbidden in O2's T&C's without prior consent:
6.4 You must not establish, install or use a Gateway Device or SIM Box without our prior written consent (including devices tethered via cable, Bluetooth or wifi, to a computer or the internet, when used for making large volumes of calls or sending large volumes of texts). We can withhold our consent for this activity at our absolute discretion.
http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add to this ;-

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/gsm_gateways/

'Ofcom has recently clarified that it is entirely legal under UK law for end-users (whether businesses or ordinary consumers) to buy, install and use GSM gateways for their own use. However it is currently illegal under UK law for anyone to use GSM gateway equipment to provide a communications service by way of business to another person or organisation, irrespective of where the gateway equipment is located, or how many or few end-users are connected to each gateway. This prohibition on ‘commercial’ use applies equally to the mobile network operators (MNOs) as to other organisations, since the MNOs’ licences do not currently extend to the installation and use of GSM gateways.'

Be greatful if someone with knowledge about these could comment 🙂

Message 2 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcone to the Forum.

I can't see anywhere online where it states they are illegal.

An old 2007 piece http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/12/mobile_sim_box/

You would be best served speaking to Customer Service for official clarification

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Message 3 of 53

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Without going into legalities, it is against O2's terms and conditions. If you use a monthly account sim, it will be barred and O2 will demand full amount of remaining months of contract. A P&G sim will be blocked permanently.

Message 4 of 53

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It is forbidden in O2's T&C's without prior consent:
6.4 You must not establish, install or use a Gateway Device or SIM Box without our prior written consent (including devices tethered via cable, Bluetooth or wifi, to a computer or the internet, when used for making large volumes of calls or sending large volumes of texts). We can withhold our consent for this activity at our absolute discretion.
http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm It also says ;-

'6.6 You agree that you are taking the SIM Card(s), Equipment and the Service solely for your own personal use and you are not allowed to re-sell our Services without our express permission.'

I'll speak to O2's head office regarding this I think as it's kinda a 'Grey' area thanks for the comments though! 🙂

But it clearly says i'd need written permission 🙂

Message 6 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which is why I said have a word with them for official clarification..

Let us know what they say.
Message 7 of 53

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's highly unlikely that permission will be given but please come back and update. I would be very interested in the outcome.

Cases on here whereby account closure and termination fees demanded were instances where permission was not sought.

Message 8 of 53

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You will have to contact them to get "written permission" I guess they will need a valid reason why you want to do this before they grant permission or not.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm getting a call back from a supervisor and a technical person within 24-72hours to discuss it further as it's better to discuss it over the phone rather than a text chat.
Message 10 of 53