cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal is getting worse

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed over the last few months the signal has decreased.  It's ok in the middle of urban areas where 4G is acheivable but at my place of work and at home where I used to get 3G I drift in and out of 2G and no signal at all.  This did not used to be the case, it coincides with the introduction of 4G services.  Sim card and phone checked, not the issue.  In comparsions to other networks on friends and colegues phones o2 has fallen well behind when it used to be ok.  This has a major impact on battery life as it's constantly searching for a signal. 

The o2 signal checker seems to boast optimistics results from reality also.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7370 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I have the same problem at work I get no service at all & when I'm at home the signal is low

iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi it could be due to the 4G rollout over the country that O2 are doing, it's not just you. It's happenimg everywhere
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This has a major impact on battery life as it's constantly searching for a signal. 

Just a tip, and I know it isn't solving the problem, but you can 'lock' the signal to a certain service level (I.e. 3G or 4G), which might give a more reliable connection. I do this at work, locking my phone to 3G, so it's not constantly jumping to 4G and back every 30 seconds. I get more reliable and overall faster internet at work that way.

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers i'll look into that.

Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
You should have a toggle on your phone allowing you to switch between gprs/3G & 4G keep it switched on to whichever is the best signal for you
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Check there isn't a mast issue near you here

status.o2.co.uk
Message 7 of 17

swebby
Level 3: Thinker
  • 88 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We've had the same problem with signal getting worse, to often no signal over the last 2 years.  We now have an O2 BoostBox at work, which on the days it works is great, but not on the other days when it doesn't.  O2 charged us £150 for BoostBox!!!  We have 4 x Vodafone SureSignal Boxes at 3 x sites, all working without fault.  First one cost £20, 2nd 3rd and fourth were free!!!!  I cannot understand why O2 has gone downhill over the last 2 years.  We've learnt to live with it!!!  I've been lucky having an O2 private account, which has meant I have used TuGo, which has improved greatly, and now of course my business account collegues now have the TuGo option.  We've recently had a nearby mast upgrade to 4G, but that doesn't give us 2G Voice Call capability, although TuGo has 3G/4G option, which eats data!!  Calls over 3G/4G should be free as only reason to use in UK is because of poor O2 2G coverage.    

S8+, Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Chromebook.
Message 8 of 17

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I agree with everything said above the O2 service for some, not all is total rubbish, I'm sat here now looking at my iPhone 6 with -110db, which almost no service, if I had a call now it would either drop or the phone would not even ring and just go to voice,
This is because the 3G signal is very poor, yet 2G is great but O2 have stopped iPhone 6 users from have the option to switch it off.
They say use Tu Go, why that's so buggy, duplicate calls and texts etc etc, just give us a a 2G toggle.

Even their Tech Team don't know what they are saying, turn off the 4G toggle they said and it will drop back to 2G, no it doesn't it drops to 3G, now I've updated to ios 8.2 because of this only to find it was bull, lost my jailbreak which had the 2G toggle, now stuffed until next jailbreak.

O2 read posts on the internet and give people a good signal, bring back the 2G toggle.
Message 9 of 17

wytey-
  • 21 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Know the feeling, have friends and family on orange and Vodafone, while I am here with a weak signal dropping out, they get nearly full signal....

Long gone are the days when O2 cared about their customers and service, it is just all about profit now

1.5 years left on contract, then unless situation improves I am off
Message 10 of 17