cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should an Australian sim work in my phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I'm heading to Australia for a few weeks holiday and obviously use WhatsApp, Maps and such to organise things and get around. However, given that O2 want to charge an eye-watering sum to use my contract sim, I was thinking about taking the sim out and grabbing a local PAYG sim out there (£11 for 1GB of data vs £6/MB) to put in my phone.
Would this work, or would I have to unlock the phone?

Thanks,

Tim
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Hi @Anonymous.

In order to use a local Australian sim you will need to unlock your phone. Follow the guide in this link:
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1014131

Have a great holiday.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Your phone might already be unlocked so check it first by inserting a non o2 SIM card.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did wonder if it was already @MI5, as I remember unbranded O2 phones being unlocked, but that was years ago.

I think I'm going to try an Australian sim, and if it doesn't work, I'll go down the unlocking process that @Glory1 linked to.

Thanks for the replies!

Tim

And yeah, hopefully it'll be a cracking holiday!
Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I'd try one from UK before you go.
Your holiday might be over before you get it unlocked if you wait until you get there wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Too late! I'm already in Singapore (which is where the problem reared it's head as my info text arrived before one for UAE roaming - my transit airport was Dubai - and I got confused)! I'll chance my arm, and if not see what WiFi I can find.
Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Oooops wink
Enjoy your trip anyway slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Did you get the phone directly from o2 @Anonymous?
If no then it might be unlocked already...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

What phone do you have? Unless you bought from Apple, if it's an iPhone it's very probably locked. If it's Android then if it's unbranded and you didn't buy from O2 them it's probably unlocked. 

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, my phone is an Xperia XC, which was a Carphone Warehouse upgrade, so is more or less manufacturer spec.

I put in an Australian Vodafone PAYG sim, and apart from enduring an hour or so where it set everything up, the phone works fine. Hopefully this will be of some use to other people in a similar boat!

Tim
Message 10 of 13