Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing my Data with daughter - costly!

Leebroath
Level 3: Thinker
  • 81 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been looking at sharing my data with my daughter as I gave her my upgrade mobile phone and the fact she loves playing Pokemon Go 

As I work away Offshore 3 weeks on 3 weeks off I was looking at sharing my 20Gb data, (can't reduce at the moment) with her, the most I use within a month is about 5-7gb, so called 202

On several occasions I was told by the call agent, and on Chat, that I had to go into the O2 Shop to discuss and add her on. 

So we went into the Aberdeen store and was told that I couldn't just simply 'Share my Data' I would have to pay between £7.50,£8.50 depending on the sim. I asked why am I being charged to share my own data and he said this was the rules and showed me the new O2 Booklet and pointed at the page. I took the magazine and said I would have a think. 

I was then in Glasgow yesterday as my daughter and partner wanted to catch some of the Unknown Pokemons (and get schoool clothes) so I ended up going back into an O2 store to continue asking about Sharing. 

The lady came back and said the type which are in the magazine are only for Data and I would need to buy then £16 Sim per month. At that I said have a good day and casualy walked out

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but the add campaign which I see is a basic 'Share' wording and no mention of costs involved, it's not till your in the store when they hit you with the 'real' cost to share your own data. 

Can someone from on here please confirm what I have been told and explain why a customer is charged to share their own data? I would have much preferred the option of adding her number to my account and the device, of said family member, can use parts of that data that you give them..

just a strange set up I think and one which isn't explained clearly

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You are essentially paying to connect the extra sim to the network and also so o2 make more money.
I think it does work out slightly cheaper overall but it's not a significant saving as it makes out - but then what ever is?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You are essentially paying to connect the extra sim to the network and also so o2 make more money.
I think it does work out slightly cheaper overall but it's not a significant saving as it makes out - but then what ever is?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Leebroath
Level 3: Thinker
  • 81 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans

^^ No explanation of a cost involved in the link above 

you would think there would be a * to advice you of the small print of costs involved at bottom of page

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No, they are very secretive about the costs. Almost impossible to find any info on it.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4