Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Data

lionwing73
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

just started a new contract with a 50GB data plan.

I would like to share this data with three of four other devices.  The "data sharing" section of My O2 just seems to take you around in a loop with no actual "link" to initiate the process other than pointing you to visit a shop!

Any ideas...

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You need to nominate a lead device when you take a new contract. Without this you cannot share. You then need to call customer service to convert the other devices to be able to share. There is a monthly charge for each device you wish to add.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You need to nominate a lead device when you take a new contract. Without this you cannot share. You then need to call customer service to convert the other devices to be able to share. There is a monthly charge for each device you wish to add.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

EducatedDevice
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

This is a query you would need to call up about on 202.

The customer service line have the necesarry systems to do this for you.

All the best,

ED

O2 Guru,
O2 Customer Service Advisor,
Android user

If and when i help you within the community, It's out of work hours meaning i will not access any accounts during our interaction. (Which is not allowed anyway).
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Unless the new phone was set up as a lead device to share data, they won't be able to do anything until you renew your contract.
You can check in your MyO2 though as it will tell you which devices you have that can share data.
You will still need to upgrade any other devices though to make use of the shared data available.

Capture.PNG

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @lionwing73, did you manage to set this up following @MI5 and @EducatedDevice's advice above? Let us know if you're still stuck and need further help slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 13

Chris2
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey - I've just tried doing this and they told me they couldn't do it.  Apparently, the system is only set up to enable you to send data from the lead device to other devices that do not have data allowances.  If the follow device does have a data allocation it won't let you share data across them.

This isn't the way I understood it from the promotions which seem very misleading - I expected to be able to share data from any device to any other device held on my account.

All seems a bit pointless really.  Poor show from O2 on this one.

Message 6 of 13

DennisElbow
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Be warned though.

Today, I have spoken to 02 about this as I wanted to be able to share data and I have 4 devices that can do so. The lady had never had to go through the process before and it took almost 20 minutes for her to set things up and then, before she activated the data share she advised me that if I do so the device I give data to will lose its monthly allowance, so if I have 2 lines (line A and line B), line A has 30gb of data a month and line B has 100gb of data a month.

I set up Line B as the lead device and and I link it to share data with line A. Line A loses its monthly  allowance of 30gb and is now reliant on line B for data. The 30gb from line A is gone forever.

I told the lady that this was a silly thing to do and decided against activating it.

Message 7 of 13

DennisElbow
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just tried it too.

They said that if the device I give data to has a monthly data allowance, it is taken away leaving no data except for what you give it from your lead device.

It's quite ridiculous really. 

Message 8 of 13

herbal_t
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Unbelieveable. And yet, somehow simultaneously unsurprising.

Message 9 of 13

MDG
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Its one pot of data from the lead device shared amongst other SIMs - NOT shared in addition to what they had already. Not that hard to understand?
Message 10 of 13