Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Level 1: Joiner
Accepted Solution

Setting up to go to Spain

How best should I set up my iPhone 5S (I pay monthly) to go to Spain early June for 10 days. I'm likely to need Google Maps as were walking about 10 miles'day in the countryside in central Spain. Also to send picture messages back home and some phone use within Spain and to UK. I already have O2 travel but I see two bolt-ons and am confused as to which to go for.

Highlighted
Topics: 677

Re: Setting up to go to Spain

@davowolf 

As you are going to Spain which is in the EU you dont need any bolt ons or even O2 Travel. You will be able to use your allowances as if you were at home.

If you want to send picture messages then use Messenger which you can use over WiFi, so that wont cost you anything. Just make sure the people you are sending them to also have the Messenger app.

Also, over WiFi, you could post them on FB if you use it.

Using your allowance to send pictures cost a lot.

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 530
Solutions: 11,118

@davowolf 

It won't cost you a penny extra to do anything as long as you stay within your normal UK allowances whilst in Spain.

No bolt ons required so just use phone as normal.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/EU-Roaming-Changes-from-15th-June-2017-CONTRACT-ONLY-quo...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)

Also re Google maps abroad without needing data, have a look at this video

*The Game Is On*

Thanks MI5, great answer; I'm all set !

Thanks Cleo; just the job, great advice, hope we don't get lost in Spain; no excuse now. Its a walking holiday !
Topics: 530
Solutions: 11,118

You're welcome mate Smiley Wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)

Happy to help @davowolf  Have a great holiday wink

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 547
Solutions: 3,407

Check with customer service that you have the correct data bolt on and that there are no roaming bars on your account.

Thanks to Jonsie, MI% and Cleo for your advice about my Spanish visit - we're off tomorrow ! Just one thing occurs; I recently signed up to Whats App. Question is, can I send pictures or messages using this a) without using data and b) if not in a WiFi area ? Still struggling with the basics as you can see !