cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up o2 SMTP on Galaxy S3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I'm a newbie with a smartphone and have a monthly contract with O2. My ISP is Plusnet and I have no trouble configuring my PoP3 account to work with that but, obviously, I need to set up my SMTP outgoing server to work with O2. I followed the guide elsewhere on this site but was told I have an invalid username/password.

My O2 username (the one used to sign in here) is of the form myname@aname.isp.com so I put myname@aname.isp.com@o2.co.uk that, to me, doesn't look right! (with two instances of @ for a start!). I know my PW is correct (again the one I use to sign in here) so can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? Is it because of the rather odd username and, if so, how do I fix it?

Regards

John

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I had to change my ISP e-mail settings a few months ago as well.

Incoming Port:445 (SSL)

Outgoing Port:995 (SSL)

Generally speaking this is because it's a Google-based mail server.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is exacly where I came in!  I went to Live Chat - absolutely useless. The guy didn't seem to understand my problem. He just pointed me to the link on the o2 site and suggested taking out my SIM. Waste of time.

Message 12 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I went to Live Chat - absolutely useless. The guy didn't seem to understand my problem. 

I did try to warn you wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

try using password as authentication type

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't see "Authentication Type" as a field in the phone outgoing settings. The fields I see are:

SMPT Server (relay.plus.net)

Security type (None)

Port (25)

Require sign-in (ticked)

Username

Password

Anything else I should look for?

FWIW I phoned 202. I struggled to convince the support person about my problem and, basically, he was unable to help me. I'll call Plusnet when I get home and see if they can help - one of their own support staff has an S2 with 02:smileyhappy: and he has said in one of their forums that he connects OK.

PN's support is 24/7 on an 0800 number too!

Message 15 of 15