Did you mean: 

Setting up Data Plan on Apple Watch Series 5

jenniferlyne90
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I bought my Apple Watch from the Apple Store and I've been attempting to set it up with the O2 Data plan. 

I've gone through the steps of setting this up through the Watch App on my iPhone, and every time it goes to the same screen stating "We're setting up your Apple Watch on the o2 Network and we'll text you when it's all done (etc...)". It has been over three weeks since I initially went through this process.

I've contacted o2 Customer Service a number of times, every time I have been given contradicting information. Some people I speak to have told me to visit an O2 store to activate an eSIM for my watch. When I have done this, the sales people at the O2 Store have said they cannot set up this type of SIM in store and that I'll need to contact customer services.

The next person I spoke to on Customer Services advised me to go to the Apple Store and check with them whether everything was okay hardware-wise. They did a full diagnostics test and confirmed there was nothing wrong with the watch what so ever. And advised that as it was a network issue, this would probably be an O2 problem.

I recently called O2 again, and I was put on hold for over an hour when the phone was cut off. 

I have been going round in circles again and again with this issue, and I've had an Apple Watch for nearly a month and haven't been able to use the additional cellular features. 

If anyone has any advice, or someone who's had the same issue and it's been resolved, I would really apprecaite the help.

Thank you, 

Jenny

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jenniferlyne90 

Any previous watches need to be removed from your account by customer service first.

Then set up the data plan from the watch setup routine and it will walk you through buying an airtime plan.
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/apple-watch
Open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on ‘Mobile Data’.
Then tap ‘Set up mobile data’. You’ll be prompted to sign in with your My O2 username and password.
Once you’ve signed in, select your Apple Watch plan. Follow the steps on the screen to set up your Apple Watch Airtime Plan.
It can take up to 24 hours to activate, but sometimes it might take a little longer.
To check if your new Airtime Plan is active, open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on ‘Mobile Data’. In the ‘Data Plan’ section, if you see O2 with the word ‘activating’ then you’ll have to wait a little longer for set up to complete. If you see O2 with an orange ‘i’ next to it, then you’re all set up.
If you get an error message at any point, on the iPhone, go to Settings and select Privacy > Motion & Fitness and switch it on.
Then go back to the watch app/Mobile Data/set up mobile data plan and be ready to put your o2 username and password in to the resulting o2 screen. Also, it costs £5 monthly to add the airtime for the Apple Watch, so you'll need to authorise this after entering the o2 user name and password. The phone app will then say 'activating' which can take a day or so, but at that point, you can try doing a phone call direct from the watch to test it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

jenniferlyne90
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your response.

I have never had an apple watch before, and never set up a watch with O2 before.

I have been through the set up routine several times and it still doesn't work.

Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jenniferlyne90 

Which phone plan are you on?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 15

jenniferlyne90
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

36 month plan with 90gb data.

Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I'm wondering if you have iData enabled on your account @jenniferlyne90 ?

Have you asked customer service to check?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

jenniferlyne90
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm not sure about iData, this hasn't been mentioned to me. Someone from customer services mentioned that I needed to set up an eSIM for my Watch the last time I called, but this was the time I was waiting for an hour on hold only to be cut off. 

On the several times that I've contacted customer services, no one has mentioned iData. Do you think this is something they should be aware of?

Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jenniferlyne90 

You need both.

iData is required so that the system nows you are using an iPhone and an eSim is required so the data plan has something to attach to.

With only either one, it won't work.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

jenniferlyne90
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okay, I'll try calling O2 customer service again and relay this information. Thank you for your help @MI5 !

Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Let us know how it goes @jenniferlyne90 

and we'll have another think if not successful.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 15