cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending graphic smilies as SMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to let you all know, now I've thought it out...

If you're being charged for MMS messages just because you added a slight_smile you're probably feeling a bit Smiley Mad

But don't worry.

Next time, assuming you're using an android phone where it's a customisable setting, set your sms message input mode in the message settings to automatic.

If you leave it on gsm alphabet, the phone sends messages with non gsm characters as MMS messages, which are usually chargable.

If you set it to automatic, when you insert a smiley it converts the sms to unicode format, which means you only get 70 or fewer characters per message, depending on which you use, but it sends as SMS which is usually free or included in an allowance.

But if you extend the message too much, it will still convert it to MMS eventually, so watch out.

And don't blame me if you follow my advice and get billed anyway.  I'm not paying yer bill Crazy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
A useful piece of info that you should add to our main thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
A useful piece of info that you should add to our main thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...

Agree Rich. Anything that helps avoid costs is a good thing to know....I think the warning that @Anonymous  wont be responsible for any failure... should be at the start of the topic I think. You know people may get carried away and not bother reading the last line wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
On my Note 3 I have tried all 3 settings (gsm alphabet, unicode and automatic) and it makes no difference. All 3 settings do NOT convert my text to mms when using 😆😆. Will try my S4 in a while.
Message 4 of 8

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thanks for the info.

I have learned my lesson from last time.  Now I have MMS turned off and I send pics on Whatsapp or BBM.  I try to limit the emotions icons to other iPhone users so that it only sends as an iMessage.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
On my Note 3 I have tried all 3 settings (gsm alphabet, unicode and automatic) and it makes no difference. All 3 settings do NOT convert my text to mms when using 😆😆. Will try my S4 in a while.

Strange - I tested it on my Note 3, and it DID convert to MMS automatically when set to GSM.

But even stranger, I tested an S4 which used to behave the same way, but now behaves as you describe.

Either a software update has changed the behavior, or the device changed after receiving a unicode sms for the first time???

For the record, my Note 3 is an off-network UK model, (the cool red gold version :smileytongue:.

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

For the record, my Note 3 is an off-network UK model, (the cool red gold version :smileytongue:.

And for the record....mine is a sim free Merlot Red version...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And for the record....mine is a sim free Merlot Red version...:smileywink:

Of course the problem with getting one of the funky colours is that you can't get accessories to match Smiley Mad.
Mine has got a white s-view cover which kind of spoils the look.  None of my local shops had a black one and the original back cover which the s-view one replaces, has a nice coloured trim on it Smiley Frustrated
But even worse was that I bought it 3 days before going away, and during that time the screen suffered massive screen burn because before the latest software update, using both the s-view cover and the dock together caused it to turn on and off, (mostly on), during the night.
So the clock and status bar are now burned in.
Being outside the UK, I couldn't exercise the warranty, although Samsung accepted that it was a warranty issue, so I can send it in now that I'm back here, along with one of my docks on which the usb failed.
Message 8 of 8