cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling a Device

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it okay to sell a device on o2 Refresh your currently paying for and get a new one? I know you can recycle it on O2 Recycle as it gives me the option. Or is it currently the property of O2 still and there for should I sell it I'd be breaking the Toc?

Thanks
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

If you have a device on a Refresh contract, which you are still paying for, then it's not yours to sell. It's still legally the property of O2. In order to sell the device, you would first have to pay off the balance on your contract. Once you've done that it's yours to sell or do what you like with it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way Welcome

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

If you have a device on a Refresh contract, which you are still paying for, then it's not yours to sell. It's still legally the property of O2. In order to sell the device, you would first have to pay off the balance on your contract. Once you've done that it's yours to sell or do what you like with it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way Welcome

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there Glory1.

Even if I was to sell and put the amount to put towards the device and pay the rest of the amount is still a No?
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Ahh ...@Anonymous that's totally different, and apologies if I misunderstood you. So, you want to sell your device and put the money you receive towards paying the device off in full and upgrading to a new phone? 

Yes, what you are suggesting doing is something quite a number of people do, as few have a large amount of disposable cash to play with. Particularly if we're talking about the latest iPhone, Samsung or Sony.

That shouldn't be a problem, as far as I'm aware. Good luck, and enjoy your new phone when you get it.

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

What you advised in your first post is actually correct @Glory1

The device legally belongs to the loan company and you are technically breaking the law by selling it before it has been paid in full.

However, many people do it to put the money towards paying off the device and nobody will ever be any the wiser.

The difficulty occurs when someone sells it to raise some ready cash and then carry on paying monthly for it. These people tend to get into difficulties in making the repayments or they may knowlingly be committing fraud in stopping repayments.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to sell a phone and then paythe finance company in full. As I say, who's to know?

Message 6 of 10

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

What you advised in your first post is actually correct @Glory1

The device legally belongs to the loan company and you are technically breaking the law by selling it before it has been paid in full.

However, many people do it to put the money towards paying off the device and nobody will ever be any the wiser.

The difficulty occurs when someone sells it to raise some ready cash and then carry on paying monthly for it. These people tend to get into difficulties in making the repayments or they may knowlingly be committing fraud in stopping repayments.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to sell a phone and then paythe finance company in full. As I say, who's to know?

Thanks @jonsie I thought that was the case. And like you I wouldn't hesitate to sell a phone and then pay the finance company off. As you say who would know, or care. 

Message 7 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

This is an interesting question and discussion. slight_smile Nice to see you back @Anonymous!

Thought I'd add the view on our end as well:

With the device plan, O2 own the phone at the beginning. You are increasing your 'percentage of ownership' each month until you pay off the phone. While we cannot control what you do with selling your phone in a contract, we'd advise that you consult with O2 Recycle to keep the sale within the agreement terms. 

The T&Cs advise:

14. Disposal of Device

You should not dispose of the Device before you have fully repaid the Amount of Credit. Any disposal of the Device by you does not affect your obligation to repay in full the Amount of Credit under this Credit Agreement.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks for the helpful replies.

Think I best pay it off before selling it.

Rob
Message 9 of 10

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Your very welcome @Anonymous and you've made the right decision wink

Message 10 of 10