Did you mean:ย 

Secondary SIM

LikkleAli
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi

I have had to order a seperate SIM on my account due to the additional data needs due to working from home.

How do I activate this without it merely upgrading my previous plan? It says to activate I need to text swap but won't this then transfer my number rendering my current plan void /cancelled?

Tried calling 02 at the point of ordering but the lines are not taking calls for this reason due to the current situation.

My intention was to have my current plan plus the secondary SIM as a second line and not to act as an upgrade?

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@LikkleAli 

How much data do you need? You could swap to a sim only plan with 100GB of data for ยฃ20 a month.

Or if you have a spare phone, or someone in the household not using theirs, you could get the same deal.

I suppose you could always buy a cheap unlocked phone from Amazon and apply for the sim only contract?

I bought my Note 8 from Amazon and went for a sim only deal from O2.

These are just my suggestions. Someone may come along with a much better idea. I only have one phone but I do know people on here who have two or three. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@LikkleAli 

How much data do you need? You could swap to a sim only plan with 100GB of data for ยฃ20 a month.

Or if you have a spare phone, or someone in the household not using theirs, you could get the same deal.

I suppose you could always buy a cheap unlocked phone from Amazon and apply for the sim only contract?

I bought my Note 8 from Amazon and went for a sim only deal from O2.

These are just my suggestions. Someone may come along with a much better idea. I only have one phone but I do know people on here who have two or three. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

LikkleAli
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks Cleoriff

I have applied for the 100gb SIM only and have another handset from my previous contract that I could use.

My concern is the instructions state to activate I need to swap. I could do this but my concern is I'm in a 36 MTH contract with just over 20mths left and not sure how this would affect my bill.

I may be able to claim some of the costs back through work which is why I'd looked into a seperate SIM if that makes sense? โ˜บ๏ธ
Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@LikkleAli 

Sounds like you may have done an upgrade.

What does your MyO2 say?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 11

LikkleAli
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5

My 02 has the two phone numbers listed with my two plans (4gb for the original & 100gb for the new one) and the two different plan allowances, the new one isn't activated yet. It just tells me my next bill date.

I checked my upgrades but it wasn't an option for more than 50gb on my upgrade. When I was browsing the shop online the next day I saw the SIM only offer, I've purchased that (12mth) but at no point has it mentioned an upgrade.

If it's been processed as an upgrade then fair enough but I'll want to keep my current number โ˜บ๏ธ
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@LikkleAli 

That all sounds good to me. 

Your new SIM should arrive activated but if not, give customer service a call 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/activating-your-sim

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Good call @LikkleAli wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

LikkleAli
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Brilliant, thanks MI5! That's great, will try that โ˜บ๏ธ

Cleoriff thank you for your help too โ˜บ๏ธ
Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
You're welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

On a new account the sim would not come activated so you would have to call to activate as in the link. O2 do not send out active sims in case they are lost in the post.

Message 10 of 11