Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam premium numbers

Serynr
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

After having problems with a scam premium number for games and being charged for something i am not using at a cost of £4.50 per week, even after texting STOP,  i have had difficulty getting it stopped. Hopefully o2 now have managed it, but would it be possible to have a permission text from o2 checking that we have agreed to using it?

Message 1 of 48
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122385 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Help here @Serynr https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premi...

It contains all actions to be taken. O2 normally wont get involved as some people sign up for these services willingly. They arent to know whether you wanted it or not

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

Cleoriff
  • 122385 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Help here @Serynr https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premi...

It contains all actions to be taken. O2 normally wont get involved as some people sign up for these services willingly. They arent to know whether you wanted it or not

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 48

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Serynr

Thanks for participating and sharing your thoughts with us. We do appreciate your opinion and understand your concerns about premium numbers. We will make sure that your feedback reaches O2 thumbsup

Welcome to the O2 community and please your feedback coming. Wave

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 3 of 48

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22945 Posts
  • 1023 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Serynr You can also report the scam here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me a few months back. I left my phone in the house while I was cutting the grass & when I came back to it.. mysterious texts saying I’d signed up to a similar service. I live alone, the phone was locked & only I know the code.. which to my mind means it was a scam.

I didn’t text stop back as it suggested, but I rang the helpline number associated with and complained. They gave me an email address and a phone number. so I emailed my complaint.

Now as it turns out more often than not. The helpline is nothing to do with the company who provide the service, which was the case here! They gave me a different number to ring and I did. The company said I must’ve signed up and wouldn’t believe me. So I asked them (as I had in the email) to provide proof of how I’d signed up.. clicked a button on explorer / chrome / Firefox.. on a mobile / a tablet / or a PC.. Or whether I had text them. 

By law they have to have this data and have to provide it when it is requested... but they said I had to wait a few days for the details. A few days passed and I’d heard nothing. So I rang them again and they said they hadn’t got it.

Smelling a rat I then contacted the Phone Paid Services Authority, click HERE who gave me lots of advice on what to say, to speak to & who to email. (I’d already done this) The PSA cannot guarantee your money back but they do lodge complaints with the company and they do report back to the governing body on cases such as this.

btw .. The offending company couldn’t provide anyone with details on how they got me to sign up (because I didn’t) and I got my £3 back, they said it was a goodwill gesture. I like to think it’s because I kept harassing them with emails & calls & maybe some help from the PSA.

Give them a try.. what have you got to lose?

Message 5 of 48

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Serynr wrote:

but would it be possible to have a permission text from o2 checking that we have agreed to using it?

It's something we have asked for many times on here.

Regulation needs to be much more forceful to stop these scumbags.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122385 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Serynr wrote:

but would it be possible to have a permission text from o2 checking that we have agreed to using it?

A two step verification would be useful...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 48

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, as we have said many times.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 48

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22945 Posts
  • 1023 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

@Serynr wrote:

A two step verification would be useful...

Two step verification would be simple to do. Many companies and organisations use it. I have two that I use. I could have more if I wanted them. It would stop these scammers in their tracks. It puzzles me as to why O2 or any of the other networks haven't introduced it?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 48

Serynr
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I suspect because the phone line providers probably get some sort of commission. I have been asked by other companies if i am aware so it can be done. In the meantime i am £40 down and the number i have been given to ask for refund is not registered.......

Message 10 of 48