Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam 40% discount call

laura_luna
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just upgraded my contract and received a call from 02844666029 (in Downpatrick) offering me 40% off my contract because of losing so many customers due to Covid. At first I thought 'great money off' then the caller started talking about sending me 2 texts, the second containing a one-time code which I would then need to give her to activate the discount. This is where alarm bells started ringing, and apparently the text system was being 'slow' and to stay on the line. I explained that it didn't sound right so I was going to hang up, she tried to explain saying that she would call me back from the 'o2 callback number' to prove she was genuinely working for o2. I reiterated that I did not want to continue was going to hang up, and did. This is why I rarely answer calls I don't recognise.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions
3 REPLIES 3

GreenBadger
Level 4: Observant
  • 34 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Sounds like they were trying to gain access to your O2 account using the one time codes that O2 send. You were right to end the call

I’d suggest changing your myO2 password as a precaution as it’s possible they have access to it but were trying to get around the two factor authentication 

Message 2 of 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions
Message 3 of 4

Lea3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just had the same call but from +441793540533 they sent the tx but the wording on the tx was not what o2 normally send. I cancelled the call and blocked it without giving any information. 

Message 4 of 4