Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s8plus oreo update

AuntSally16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 31 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Anyone know when we will get the oreo update for Samsung S8plus??
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@AuntSally16wrote:
Any more news on this??

@Chris_K ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 37

AuntSally16
  • 31 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Still no further news @Chris_K?
Message 12 of 37

AuntSally16
  • 31 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
No reply or update? Very disappointing 😬
Message 13 of 37

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Chris_K has been away all week at MWC 2018 as per the thread below. Hopefully he will see these posts on Monday and update.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/MWC-2018-Day-1/m-p/1110420

@AuntSally16wrote:

Message 14 of 37

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@AuntSally16 wrote:

My apologies for the delay - I was due back home last Thursday but due to the weather issues in the UK, I was delayed a couple days.

I'm back now though and can confirm there's no new info or update available I'm afraid, and it's the same position as before. Having checked the Social Media accounts for other UK networks, it does appear that everyone is in the same boat.

To give a bit more context, 2-3 weeks ago it looks like Samsung spotted an issue with the update and as a result, they halted the roll-out to fix this. Networks will need to wait for the new software from Samsung to then do their testing.

Once there's more info available, i'll let everyone know.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 15 of 37

CraigR
Level 4: Observant
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Samsung started rolling out the new fixed Oreo update on 22nd Febuary. While this provides a small excuse for 02's delay it still doesn't excuse the fact that 02's S8s are still stuck on the 1st November security patch. 

Obviously O2 just care about shifting new phones and not actually supporting current phones. 

Android 9.0 (P) developer preview is rolling out in a few weeks and at this rate the full version will be out before O2 S8s get Oreo (or even an up to date security patch).

Message 16 of 37

AuntSally16
  • 31 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Chris_K

I’m aware of the delay and the fact that the roll out was stopped but this was soon rectified reading all the reports.

I presume we are having to wait till the S9 is available first ... 

@Chris_Kwrote:

@AuntSally16wrote:

My apologies for the delay - I was due back home last Thursday but due to the weather issues in the UK, I was delayed a couple days.

I'm back now though and can confirm there's no new info or update available I'm afraid, and it's the same position as before. Having checked the Social Media accounts for other UK networks, it does appear that everyone is in the same boat.

To give a bit more context, 2-3 weeks ago it looks like Samsung spotted an issue with the update and as a result, they halted the roll-out to fix this. Networks will need to wait for the new software from Samsung to then do their testing.

Once there's more info available, i'll let everyone know.

Message 17 of 37

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@CraigR wrote:

Samsung started rolling out the new fixed Oreo update on 22nd Febuary. While this provides a small excuse for 02's delay it still doesn't excuse the fact that 02's S8s are still stuck on the 1st November security patch. 

Obviously O2 just care about shifting new phones and not actually supporting current phones. 

Android 9.0 (P) developer preview is rolling out in a few weeks and at this rate the full version will be out before O2 S8s get Oreo (or even an up to date security patch).

I'm afraid a lot of this is incorrect.

Nobody in the UK has Oreo for the S8 yet - I appreciate the wait is frustrating, but it's unfair to single O2 out when all networks are in the same boat. I can also confirm that for the S8 we're on 1st December patch, so it sounds like you've perhaps not updated to it yet. Can you check for updates manually please? We prioritise these security updates and typically look to turn these around the day we receive them.

With regards to "22nd Feb", it was only last week that Samsung withdrew the build we were working on and testing, so there are clearly different builds for different markets and countries - so I'd recommend caution on articles like the one you've seen, as they may be region specific and not be relevant to others.

We absolutely care about supporting existing phones - in fact it's our commitment to this that may from time-to-time add short delays to us getting new updates pushed out, so we can ensure the update works as expected for these customers, such as those we've added Wifi & 4G calling to.

Message 18 of 37

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Well @Chris_K I checked my phone at the weekend for software updates and I'm on the latest software for the S8+ with the November security patch. So I've not got the December security patch either.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 19 of 37

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
Well @Chris_K I checked my phone at the weekend for software updates and I'm on the latest software for the S8+ with the November security patch. So I've not got the December security patch either.

Thanks for confirming - can you let me know what software build/version you're on and if your S8+ came from us or somewhere else, like CPW?

Message 20 of 37