cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S6 Roaming Problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having problems with O2 roaming in Italy and Slovakia. I have a new Samsung S6 on an O2 refresh contract. I have had international roaming and O2 travel activated on my account for over 10 years.

The phone will connect to the international networks but seems to have problems with seamlessly changing  netwroks when one network becomes out of coverage...for example when on TIM if the signal goes it will display Emergency  Calls only.

I then have to manually select anither network  e.g. Wind.

Even if the original network  becomes available I have to manually re-select the network or restart the phone.

I thought the whole concept of roaming was just that..to seamlessly roam between networks.

I have rebooted the phone  and taken out the  SIM card etc.

I have tried it wity wi-fi on and wi-fi off and with data roaming  on and data roaming off.

The problem isn't  a local issue as it happened all over the Amalfi Coast area and then in Slovakia.

Also my wife's  phone would seamlessly roam between networks while she was stood next to me while my phone  displayed Emergency Calls only.

Also I noticed that several networks wouldn't  work with the O2 SIM card...when manually selecting  the network it would take over 2 mins to search then another  30 seconds before  'Unable to Connect-try later' was displayed.

Yet these networks have roaming  agreements with O2- Vodafone Italy and Telecom SK in Slovakia.

O2 customer care insisted it would be resolved by removing the SIM card and restarting  the phone but this doesn't  work.

I have had the latter proble-unable to connect-try later- since moving to Samsung Android phones-first with the S2 then S4 but not the problem of not allowing  seamless roaming.

Any help appreciated!
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
If set to automatic network selection it should switch between networks as you move around.
If it doesn't, it's faulty.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
If set to automatic network selection it should switch between networks as you move around.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Send it to Samsung for proper aftercare as you have a 2 year warranty 

Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Agree with that. I go to Spain frequently and if Movistar goes down ...my Note 3 connects to Vodafone ES or Orange ES. I never have to do a manual search..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Once you have chosen manually though, you need to go back and select automatic again.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Sounds like a faulty phone to be honest. Get it sent to Samsung, please don't let o2's repairers loose on it it. As said, in the meantime you need to manually connect to a  network.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK thanks for replies all.
Message 7 of 7