Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Samsung Galaxy S or HTC Desire

Can't find this question anywhere else on here, so opinions please?

I quite like the idea of an Iphone 4, currently with a 3G. However I find the 3G, now 18 months old a pain, battery dreadful, sometimes it shutdowns with a full battery, only to come back empty. Sometimes, when charging it sits there stuck on the lowest indication, unplug it, and its really fully charged. Plus mine, the wifes, and several at work all have cracks in teh case adjacent to the connector, a common issue from the reading I have done. That at the dreadful launch of the 4, oh and the price have put me off.

I like the styling of the Desire, but its £100 on my tariff. The Galaxy S, with basically the same hardware is free. The galaxy S is plasticky, but is it that bad really? Oh and its a blatant Iphone rip.

The galaxy S has more internal memory for apps than the Desire, and as apps currently can only be installed to internal memory, is this a problem? Or a soon to be removed limitation of Android.

So convince me guys, is the HTC so much better to justify the £100 I will have to pay. I certainly will not be shelling out £200 for the Iphone 4.

Cheers.

Gary
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Samsung Galaxy S or HTC Desire

Can't find this question anywhere else on here, so opinions please?
I quite like the idea of an Iphone 4, currently with a 3G. However I find the 3G, now 18 months old a pain, battery dreadful, sometimes it shutdowns with a full battery, only to come back empty. Sometimes, when charging it sits there stuck on the lowest indication, unplug it, and its really fully charged. Plus mine, the wifes, and several at work all have cracks in teh case adjacent to the connector, a common issue from the reading I have done. That at the dreadful launch of the 4, oh and the price have put me off.
I like the styling of the Desire, but its £100 on my tariff. The Galaxy S, with basically the same hardware is free. The galaxy S is plasticky, but is it that bad really? Oh and its a blatant Iphone rip.
The galaxy S has more internal memory for apps than the Desire, and as apps currently can only be installed to internal memory, is this a problem? Or a soon to be removed limitation of Android.
So convince me guys, is the HTC so much better to justify the £100 I will have to pay. I certainly will not be shelling out £200 for the Iphone 4.
Cheers.
Gary

There is plenty of stuff in the General forum concerning the iPhone and Desire, although nothing on the Galaxy.

Having purchased the Desire and the iPhone 4 recently, I would have no hesitation in choosing the iPhone. I love the Desire and it is hugely customisable, but almost to the point of gadgetry. I just couldn't bring myself to subscribe to 18/24 months with any Samsung.

As a telephone the iPhone is a better performer than the Desire and if you look at second hand values, the iPhone will always be a winner. As a well-specced gadget with telephone capability the Desire would come out on top. It really is about what you need. The build quality and screen of the iPhone is something I have never seen in any mobile in the past.

Personally, dependent on what 3G you have, your handset is worth £140 to £170 recycled.

I would throw that cash at the new iPhone.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for that.

Just been to the O2 shop, and looked at them all, still none the wiser. O2 will give me £134 - 25% (cos of the crack) for my Iphone, so thats a start.

So - a customisable phone, free sat nav etc. Or an Iphone. I can use the apps already purchased for my Iphone. The Android market is not as good. the Samsung widgets aren't as good. The Samsung is the most powerful if the reviews are to be believed. The Iphone looks the business. I don't mind Itunes, does what it says.

The decisions, anyway, got another 7 days to think about it.

Gary
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for that.
Just been to the O2 shop, and looked at them all, still none the wiser. O2 will give me £134 - 25% (cos of the crack) for my Iphone, so thats a start.
So - a customisable phone, free sat nav etc. Or an Iphone. I can use the apps already purchased for my Iphone. The Android market is not as good. the Samsung widgets aren't as good. The Samsung is the most powerful if the reviews are to be believed. The Iphone looks the business. I don't mind Itunes, does what it says.
The decisions, anyway, got another 7 days to think about it.
Gary

Gary,

Shop around with the recycling. Try Mazuma.

O2 are not the best at supporting their handsets with firmware. My wife's SIM free Desire is great for pulling the latest frimware out of the air. As you know iPhone users get the latest updates via itunes, regardless of your network.

Currently, the O2 branded Desire is one firmware upgrade behind the SIM free model with no update on the horizon. How long will this kind of thing continue?

HTC are very responsive but haven't acted on the poor sound quality from the earphone, speakerphone or through headphones with the Desire. They are well aware of it. Please, if you decide on the Desire, make sure you hear the speakerphone and earphone first and decide if you can live with the poor audio.

I am not an Apple fan, this is my first iPhone and the only one that has floated my boat.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ancientferguson

Thanks for your open and honest review of the HTC Desire and IPhone 4, You say that your wife has a Desire and you the IPhone 4. Are they both on the O2 network? Does your wife wish she had got the IPhone or is she happy?
Its just I'm currently on the O2 with a 3G and I have decided to get the IPhone 4 but I have been tempted by the Vodafone offering of 1GB or even a 12 month contract with Tesco.

What are your thoughts?
Highlighted
Anonymous

The more I look at this, the more I think Iphone 4, lol.

I still like the idea of Android, but...

The HTC desire is not "state of the art"

The Samsung is a Samsung, never tried them but ....

The Iphone is well an Iphone, but has had its difficulties to say the least. I have been happy with my 3G, but it is starting to die a bit now to be honest.

Comparisons on the web, clearly show the Desire performing poorly against the Samsung. Both Androids have flash, and can use Iplayer and the like.

Buying a new mobile never used to be that difficult. Now its about so much more than the phone element. I surf the net a fair bit, mainly sport as its blocked at work. I enjoy some of the free games when I go away with work, so I use a fair bit of the other bits that come with the phone.

Its going to be a difficult week, lol.

Gary
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ancientferguson
Thanks for your open and honest review of the HTC Desire and IPhone 4, You say that your wife has a Desire and you the IPhone 4. Are they both on the O2 network? Does your wife wish she had got the IPhone or is she happy?
Its just I'm currently on the O2 with a 3G and I have decided to get the IPhone 4 but I have been tempted by the Vodafone offering of 1GB or even a 12 month contract with Tesco.
What are your thoughts?

Yep we are both on O2. She is on a Simplicity £35 per month Smartphone tariff and I chose the Desire for her. The Desire was something I wanted for myself so I knew it would be good enough for the wife. She loves it. She never uses the speakerphone and is tone deaf anyway, so the earphone quality doesn't bother her. The audio drove me crazy and I checked on the Web and found this was quite a common issue. It bothers me that a high end phone can have such poor basic "phone" features.

I knew of the antenna issue with the iPhone before I ordered it, but I had seen the same thing occur at the bottom of the Desire, when held in the "deathgrip".

I have never owned an iPhone and quite often ridiculed the obsessed owners of the same. But, when I saw the iPhone 4, I realised that I may well end up owning one.
Now that I have it, I won't be parting with it.

I love the way that you are expected to buy the apps and that the phone is pretty much barebones. I am a barebones kind of guy ever since my days of owning the Palm 650 and 750, when my phone was full of "must have" apps that I never used. The Desire comes preloaded with a ton of junk and I hate that! The iPhone 4 is expensive, but just look at what it is made of, look at the screen and the build quality.

On my tariff I will get 750mb of data after the offer finishes. I won't ever use anywhere near that. If you need 1Gb then by all means consider your options.

The Tesco option seems almost too good to be true and I have no idea how they make money. I am sure they must, but the whole idea of signing up with a supermarket chain that I happen to dislike, for my comms, is not one that sits well with me. Resultantly, I have never checked out their offers.

Go with what feels right.
Highlighted
Anonymous

just to throw another option in there batfinkgtr,

as your weighing up whether to pay the extra £100 or just get the galaxy s;

now you will get the desire for free on a tariff £5 higher than the one where you'd expect to pay the £100 upfront.

pay the extra £5 per month in line rental for 9 months (£45 extra in total)

then downgrade back down to the tariff you really wanted (£55 quids in)

just an extra option........galaxy looks to much like a cheaper/larger 3G!