Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Samsung BARRED. Blackberry BARRED, now Nokia BARRED!

Ok, I was out this thursday and I lost my phone with my simplicity sim card in. I have two phones, one which is my blackberry which i use of a week and my old samsung which i use when i go out, just in case as i would rather lose my old phone than my brand new Blackberry.

Anyway, i called o2 and they barred my phone, that was fine. They then sent me a replacement sim card out, i called to activate, activated. I then call again to remove the bars, bars removed. The new sim card was not working with my Blackberry, I could not call, send or receive texts. Whilst the sim card was not working with my blackberry, i put it into my old Nokia and this was working fully and effectively.

I then called o2 and explained my issues and they said my Blackberry was barred due to the fact that i put the new sim card into my Blackberry to early, which wasn't explained to me what so ever. They are looking into this. Just checked my Nokia and now its coming up number barred whenever i try to dial a number!

This is obviously a fault of o2 but I am now worried about the situation as my Blackberry is the new Storm 2, which i have just paid £400 for. What will the outcome be of this situation?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Its possible for O2 to remove the bar. But don't go swapping the SIM around until its sorted or you are asked, as it will make complicate things greatly.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ok, what's basically happened is that o2's system hasn't recognised your sim being in your Samsung and has still had it registered as being in your Blackberry. This is because it takes a few hours for the network to realise the sim has been put into a different phone and register this.

So, when you then lose your handset a short time later and ask for it to be barred, o2's system bars the last handset registered - in this case the Blackberry.

Now o2 can still bar your Samsung manually for you, customer services need to fill in a form to do this and quote a period of 72 hours max although it's usually done sooner.

As for the Nokia, I'm wondering if the person at customer services you spoke to has tried to get the bar off the Blackberry by re-adding the IMEI (handset) bar and taking it back off again. This is the wrong thing to do and may have blocked your Nokia if your sim was in it at the time. The can find out easily if they've blocked your Nokia by mistake and have the bar removed, again, they need to fill in a form to do this and will quote 72 hours but it's usually done sooner.

On to the Blackberry, I've kept this until last because it's something you aren't going to be happy about. Once an IMEI bar is added to a Blackberry...it can't be removed. I know that's a very sweeping statement so fair enough some models of Blackberry might not be affected but in general...IMEI bar on a Blackberry = permenant lock. Just as an example a friend of mine was in a very similar situation to you, put sim in old phone before heading out, old phone lost, call to o2 to have it barred, bar in fact went on to Blackberry Bold, permenantly barred as it's a Blackberry, had to be sent a new Bold by o2.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I had left it till the next morning to call them to tell them to block my phone. I had my phone in all day and night within the Samsung and lost it about 3AM. I then called at 10AM to tell them i had lost it, so it should have registered?

Yer he did say something about taking the bar on and of again and this handset is now unbarred thankfully, so i have a phone in the mean time whilst sorting this out.

No way, my Blackberry is the new Storm 2, which i bought separate from o2 as I didn't want to tie myself in to a contract so just bought the phone outright. This is poor service and I am to angry! What will happen next do you think?
Highlighted
Anonymous

There isn't really a set time for it registering, but if your Blackberry was blocked then it looks like it hasn't.

It happens quite often, even happened to me last week, new upgraded handset blocked, old missing phone untouched, sim card had been in the old phone for about an hour.

By this time, their system should have updated to show the last date that your Samsung connected to the network. They are also able to see which handset is barred and which isn't. In normal circumstances, this is a very easy situation to put right.

However, as we've established, there is the issue of the Blackberry, which is very likely to be permenantly barred. But...lets look on the bright side. If you haven't already done it then contact customer services and get them to fill out the form to have the Samsung barred and the blackberry unbarred. It's the same form, needs to be sent twice, once for the Samsung and then again for the Blackberry, make sure they do it, don't be afraid to ask. Then, wait the 72 hours that they quote to see if the Blackberry becomes unbarred. It usually takes less time than this but they won't take further steps until the SLA has passed. (TBH you'll hopefully get an advisor who knows about the Blackberry permenant barring issue and you can bypass this).

Next, if the Blackberry remains barred you'll have to call back in and complain. Now, the problem is that o2 don't offer the Storm 2 so it won't be as easy as them just sending out a replacement handset like they did for my friend. If they take the option to replace the handset you may find that they'll need you to send in proof of purchase so they have evidence of the price paid and that they'll then raise a credit for you. It's an uncommon situation though so how it's dealt with will come down to whatever manager ends up dealing with it.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Just gave them a call and thankfully they managed to unbar my Blackberry. They submitted the form as you said and got a quick response and its working now Smiley Happy im happy now haha!

Thanks alot for your help.