Did you mean: 

SMS over Wifi problems

stuartmecham
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

I seem to be having issues sending text *sms* via wifi. When 02 started to use wifi calling for SMS it worked without a problem. I can get texts no problem but not able to send. 

I dont get any o2 signal in my area and use wifi calling. I have a iPhone 13 with virgin media internet. Every time I try to send a SMS to a non iPhone / apple user it just says unable to send with a red ! .. I do get sms texts no problem. 

When I am in an 02 signal area and using normal signal texts send no problem.

is there something I am doing wrong or a setting I need to set up?

thank you for any help

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12630 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1155 Solutions

I wonder if the SMS that are going through are sending as an iMessage @stuartmecham and not an actual text.

o2 only offer normal SMS via WiFi on select Samsung phones as far as I remember.

Here is the link to the original post confirming that:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/SMS-over-Wifi-Calling/m-p/1526303 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 6

stuartmecham
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

sadly its not going through as iMessage as they all go through fine... its SMS problems as its green.. 😞 

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149545 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@stuartmecham 

sms over wifi should work fine on iPhones.

Make sure you have the latest iOS installed and then reset your network settings.

I also assume you have enabled wifi calling and it is working OK?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 6

stuartmecham
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yup I have the latest OS on there.. yup wifi is working as it should slight_smile

Message 5 of 6

Xander04
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the same issue. Unable to send SMS via Wi-Fi calling using an iPhone 13 Pro. Took a while to figure out that's why I couldn't send sms (three phone calls with tech support didn't even realise that could be the issue) - just got off phone with next level support and was told SMS texting via Wi-Fi calling is not available on iPhone. Only certain Samsung models. I pointed out that does not seem to be the case as several posts on this forum claim it is supported but they were quite blunt in the response. So I guess I'm off to find a new network provider. I cant make or receive calls in my home without Wi-Fi calling so have to use it. Recent notification that O2 we're doing work in my postcode to improve signal and coverage only seems to have made it worse. 

Message 6 of 6