cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS group text automatically changed to MMS by Amazon Fire Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently put my O2 pay monthly sim into my Fire Phone and proceeded to sms 12 of my contacts in a group message about my number changing. I was shocked today when checking my balance that I had incurred charges of £4.00 due to sending these messages (33p each). After researching online I was dismayed to find out that the Amazon Fire Phone by default changes any group sms into an mms automatically without any confirmation, which causes myself and perhaps many others into incurring charges they were not expecting as they were not covered in their pay monthly tariff.
Am I liable for these charges? Is there any way of getting a refund? Who exactly is at fault here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

We have heard many instances of the Firephone (and others) converting group texts to MMS and charges being incurred. There is a help guide here....

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

I think you will find yourself liable for the charges sadly 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

We have heard many instances of the Firephone (and others) converting group texts to MMS and charges being incurred. There is a help guide here....

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

I think you will find yourself liable for the charges sadly 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Yup not just fire phone, more than 5 contacts and the messages will be automatically converted to mms with almost any phone.
Message 3 of 6

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There are many such threads on the community about this if you use the search function. Some interesting points of view....

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't this due to the size of the SMS reaching a certain limit, and to continue it has to be converted to an MMS which obviously has the data handling specifications to handle larger messages.

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, it's all in the guide I wrote that Cleo linked to.
The problem to the unwary though is that some phones will warn you and others don't - The Fire phone is one that doesn't.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6