cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS and WIFI calling (text messages)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought an O2 contract on the assumption WIFI calling would be similar to Vodafone and EE where you still get SMS text messages.

The reason I need this is because I always get companies sending SMS codes and confirmations I.e. Santander when you set up payments - so clearly can’t be done through What’s app and the like.

Is this something that is going to get resolved?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Juzza999
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just to concur with this, I live in an area with no mobile reception (Norfolk) so it's very frustrating not being able to get SMS messages over WiFiCall.

Message 11 of 13

Mgonn
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
O2 support told me today that sms over WiFi is coming later this year and is delayed by covid. Absolute tosh because they were giving the same message out two years before covid. Also they say it is very complex and needs testing thoroughly. Yes as does everything. How come EE managed it a long time back? I need it as moving to a village near hay on wye that itself has good phone reception but in the village it is unreliable 2G as stated by O2 themselves. Not a problem though just use WiFi calling... unfortunately organisations like hmrc and banks require you to receive an sms code as part of their security process. Even o2 did twice today, to get on this network and to call them. I’ll be going to EE soon, pity as I’ve been a loyal customer since cellnet days.
Message 12 of 13

DavidD
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Is there any progress with this now we are in 2021? I also live in an area with no cellular service and have to rely on Wi-fi only. I also need text messages for security validations for banking work and even the o2 app to change address.
Message 13 of 13